Note: This FAQ applies to LPCXpresso IDE (Pro Edition) only.
Activating the Pro edition of LPCXpresso IDE is done via a purchased unique activation code. When the activation code is used, a license is installed onto the chosen machine.
Activation codes are used to support two supports 2 licensing schemes.
1 - Single seat licenses (activations)
When a user installs and activates the Pro edition of LPCXpresso IDE, they will be required to supply an email address and password that will become associated with this activation code. The email address is used to send details of the management of the installation via 'mySoftwareLicense' web portal.
Through this web portal, a user may:
- deactivate an installation, typically before the installation is moved to another machine
- change the email address associated with the license
- change the password associated with the license
Through these features, an installation may be moved to a different machine and potentially a different user.The information required to perform these tasks is supplied during the first installation and so this scheme does not lend itself to a centrally managed install base.
2 - Multiple seat licenses (activations)
If there is a requirement to centrally manage an installation of LPCXpresso IDE then a multi seat activation should be purchased.
When the first install and activation is performed, three pieces of information must be supplied.
- an email address that will become associated with the activation code, this is used to send details of the management of the installation via 'mySoftwareLicense' web portal
- a password that will then be used for all subsequent activations using this code
- a second password that will be used to centrally manage the install base via 'mySoftwareLicense' web portal.
Through this web portal, the central administrator may then:
- view the computer ID and activation date of each separate installation
- de-activate any particular installation
- change the email address associated with the multi seat activation
- change the password required to install a seat using this multi seat activation
The key to this model is that during the first installation, details are provided that enable 'ownership' of the installed base of LPCXpresso IDE (Pro Edition).