Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6Q: Maximum IPU clock frequency

Jump to solution
kristofferglemb
Contributor III

Hi there,

What is the maximum clock frequency for the IPU clock in IMX6Q? According to reference manual it is 264 MHz.

But in this answer: Q&A: What are the maximum HSP_CLK frequency values? it says "IPU1_HSP_CLK_ROOT is 270 MHz for DQ" but then writes max for DQ is 264 MHz.

The only way to achieve 264 MHz is to divide MMDC_CH0_AXI_CLK_ROOT. But I'm using LPDDR2 memory rated at 400 MHz and I'm running MMDC at 396 MHz so that is not an option.

270 MHz is achievable by selecting PLL3_PFD1 at 540 MHz and dividing by 2. I have tested this and it seems to work fine but it's unclear if this is a supported frequency.

If 270 MHz is not guaranteed to work, the clock options for the IPUs seems quite strange. I can only get 270 MHz, 198 MHz or lower if I'm running the memory at 400 MHz.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, it is possible to use 270MHz clock, derived from the PLL3 PFD1, as the IPU main clock.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, it is possible to use 270MHz clock, derived from the PLL3 PFD1, as the IPU main clock.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

kristofferglemb
Contributor III

That's great, but it really begs the question why the reference manual and QA claims 264 MHz?

0 Kudos