cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock on I2S is not consistent

Jump to solution
randylee
Contributor V

I'm using SDK 2.11 on an LPC5512 using MCUexpresso 11.5.1. I've got a TFA9879 hanging off an I2S bus that this chip is driving to play audio sourced from an SPI memory.

I've got it configured correctly (I think) and set up for 22050 Hz (or pretty close since you can't quite get there with this chip: see Solved: I2S clock not exact but doesn't matter - NXP Community)

The problem I'm having is that the clock is not consistent: 

randylee_0-1672324048875.png

When this clocks, it's clocking at 1MHz, not 700+KHz and then it's missing clocks every so often.  The WSL line is pretty much correct in what it's doing overall so the basic clock rate is correct, just the instantaneous clock is not right.  On this Audio part, it's saying that it has a PLL inside that is helping keep it synced to and compensating for the real clock rates but missing clocks isn't going to help that along much...

Got any idea of what is causing this behaviour?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
randylee
Contributor V

ref the diagram that I included here...

The Multiplier on FXCOMCLK4 doesn't want to be anything other than 256 in this tool and the divisor only goes up to 511 so I can't bring fro_12m into anything reasonable as a clock rate on that line. 

However, my pll0 is running at 96MHz (derived from fro_12m) so I turned on pll0_clk_div and divided that down to 1Mhz and used that as input to FCCLKSEL4 to get me the same (sort of close) clock rate.

Didn't' change the odd clock stream at all.

HOWEVER: when I changed the divisor in FXCOMCLK4 to 256 (so that whole scale thing is 1) and then changed the pll0_clk_div to 136, I now get a good clock!

So somehow this FRGCTRL4 is hosing the output clock.  No idea why but it really doesn't like to be set up how I set it up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
randylee
Contributor V

I'm not using an outside xtal so clock is derived:

randylee_0-1672760566459.png

Attached are the relevant .c files generated

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

the I2S sampling rate is 22.05KHz, the bit width in one slot is 16 bits, the bit clock is 22.05KHz*16*2=705.6KHz, you use FRG to get 705.6KHz from 1M internal clock, maybe it is the root cause for the discontinuous bit clock.

I suggest you use FRO12MHz, 12MHz/705.6KHz=17, you can set up the FRG divider as 1(set up the MULT to be 0), ans set up the I2S prescaler as 17, I suppose that the I2S bit clock will be continuous.

Pls have a try

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
randylee
Contributor V

ref the diagram that I included here...

The Multiplier on FXCOMCLK4 doesn't want to be anything other than 256 in this tool and the divisor only goes up to 511 so I can't bring fro_12m into anything reasonable as a clock rate on that line. 

However, my pll0 is running at 96MHz (derived from fro_12m) so I turned on pll0_clk_div and divided that down to 1Mhz and used that as input to FCCLKSEL4 to get me the same (sort of close) clock rate.

Didn't' change the odd clock stream at all.

HOWEVER: when I changed the divisor in FXCOMCLK4 to 256 (so that whole scale thing is 1) and then changed the pll0_clk_div to 136, I now get a good clock!

So somehow this FRGCTRL4 is hosing the output clock.  No idea why but it really doesn't like to be set up how I set it up.

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

First of all, the DIV bits of FRG must be 0xFF or 256 as the following Remark.

Remark: To use the fractional baud rate generator, 0xFF must be wirtten to the DIV value
to yield a denominator vale of 256. All other values are not supported. See Section 34.3.1
“Configure the Flexcomm Interface clock and USART baud rate” and Section 34.7.2
“Clocking and baud rates”.

Secondly, there is a divider for the I2S driving clock, the FRG can generate the clock frequency for your application such as x*705.6KHz and set up the I2S divider as x and use the I2S divider to divide it to 705.6KHz.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

xiangjun_rong_0-1672887220260.png

0 Kudos
randylee
Contributor V

This particular trace is from logic analyzer (Salea) , correct, at 16MS/s... I confirmed this with a scope because, as you note, logic analyzers aren't always truthful... I see the same behaviour in the scope trace.

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Randy,

If you see the same behaviour on the scope, I think the bit clock has problem, it is inconsistent.

As the following fig, the bit clock is from the FCLKn, pls post the code to configure the FRG, the clock source of FRG so that we have a check.

BR

XiangJun Rong

xiangjun_rong_0-1672712052524.png

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Can you tell us the instrument name to display the I2S clock, data and frame signals? it appears that you use logic analyzer to display the signals, because of the limited logic analyzer sampling time, it has the issue.

Pls try to use oscilloscope to display the I2S signals instead of logic analyzer.

If you use oscilloscope, I am sorry.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos