Is there a document detailing the use of the KSDK “I/O subsystem (NIO)” device drivers?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a document detailing the use of the KSDK “I/O subsystem (NIO)” device drivers?

Jump to solution
M_Grillo
Contributor III

"Is there a document detailing the use of the KSDK “I/O subsystem (NIO)” device drivers?"

Is there a document detailing the use of the KSDK “I/O subsystem (NIO)” device drivers? MQX 3.x.x to  4.x.x always had a documentation for I/O driver usage. I’m attempting to port an MQX K60 project over to the new KDS toolset for K64 with KSDK w/MQX that uses several UART ports and can’t find documentation or an example(s) using multiple UART ports (interrupt driven).

Is there a newer than 1.1.0 version release of KSDK pending that includes more documentation, driver support and examples?

Thanks,

Mark

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark,

I checked the information with KSDK team and we really do not have such documentation.

Once this documentation is complete, or other material that you might find to helpful for you, I'll let you know.

Have a great day,

Best Regards,

IVA

View solution in original post

26 Replies
RichardR
Contributor IV

Any word on the NIO documentation?  This was first asked a year ago, and I am still struggling to find all the correct documentation for using these drivers.  I am using a TWRK65 system right now, IAR Workbench 7.50, KDS 3.2.0, KSDK 1.3, with full MQX.  I have to say I am not very impressed with the level of documentation compared to when I was developing with K60, MQX 3.x, no KSDK, no KDS, no processor expert.  The problem with going that route now is support of the K65 processor.

ebee
Contributor II

I too am trying to port an older MQX project over to use the new KSDK 1.2.0 but can not find the relevant documentation anywhere so it is just burning up time. Hopefully they will get these packs properly documented and supported before they stop releasing MQX updates for the Kinetis parts. I am now giving up on this and trying to port it to the full MQX 4.2, hopefully everything will be in the correct places so I dont need to keep trying to locate variables, changes to function names etc.

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ian Bentall,

For MQX regarding questions, please contact usMQX Software Solutions

Thank you for your feedback!

We are very appreciated for that.

Iva

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark,

Yes - structure for MQX RTOS for KSDK is here:

mqx-for-kinetis-sdk-1024x611.png

I can recommend you Freescale MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK User's Guide, which is actually located at C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.1.0\rtos\mqx\doc

and other guides, which can help you.

io.png

I hope this helps,

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
M_Grillo
Contributor III

Hello Iva,

Thanks for the reply. 2.23 states: NIO “I/O drivers are not described in this book”. The elusive I/O drivers and I/O Subsystem(NIO) documentation is what I’m in search of.

Thanks,

Mark

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark,

I checked the information with KSDK team and we really do not have such documentation.

Once this documentation is complete, or other material that you might find to helpful for you, I'll let you know.

Have a great day,

Best Regards,

IVA

kalden_srcinc
Contributor IV

any news on when this documentation will be made available

0 Kudos
M_Grillo
Contributor III

Thank you Iva.

Mark

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark,

I checked the information for you, and such document which you find we actually do not have.

Yes, it is plan for future. Actually in April is expected KSDK 1.2.,

so we will make the document after this release and I will let you know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
oaf
Contributor IV

Hi,

The KSDK 1.2 is released, but I could not find any documentation regarding the design of nio?

PS:Is there plans for more nio-drivers? What I'm particulary want is a driver which could be

used by the 'tty:' to use USB-CDC as output, instead of uart....

0 Kudos
M_Grillo
Contributor III

I could not find any additional documentation in KDSK 1.2.0 either. It is rather frustrating because what I have working for NIO UART drivers in KSDK 1.1.0 does not work in KSDK 1.2.0.

Mark

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark and Ole,

I checked the information for you and NIO documentation is not finished and actually we cannot say exact term.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
mozturk
Contributor I

Hi Iva,

Add me to the list of people who require this document :smileyhappy:

I'm trying to implement an NIO interface for serial flash (see here) and this document, even in its incomplete state, would be very helpful.

If there are no plans to release this document in the near future maybe you could put me in touch with an expert who could answer my questions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Meric,

Thank you for the feedback.

I sent the information to SW team.

Actually I see, that your request is in progress by our expert now.

Please, wait for a response.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Iva

danielhadley
Contributor I

Hi Iva,

Is there any more word on this? I require the documentation too, as I have need of multiple serial communication channels in MQX. Is there anywhere you can point me yet?

Kind Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
M_Grillo
Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

I have had great success using the full MQX 4.2.0 with KDS 3.0.0 toolset, (with the Kinetis TWRK64), rather trying to struggle through using the KSDK version of MQX. There are many examples for exercising all peripherals and features.  The documentation and source code are very intuitive.  Thanks to user ‘soledad’ for pointing out a document to creating a new MQX RTOS 4.2 project in KDS: https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-106217

I believe KSDK has great promise but isn’t quite ready for rapid development due to the examples and documentation haven’t caught up.

Mark

danielhadley
Contributor I

Hi Mark,

I've definitely been considering the same thing. The project is fairly ingrained with PEX and KSDK, so I imagine it'll be a little bit of a job porting it over. Saying that, the UARTs still arent working correctly, and its tiresome trying to figure out how what used to be a nice #define has been moved and hidden in some undocumented location.

Would you really recommend switching over?

Dan

0 Kudos
M_Grillo
Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the late delay. I didn’t see your question at first.

It was a no brainer for me to use MQX 4.2.0 when it came available for the K64 and KDS 3.0.0. All my previous work was with MQX 3.4 to 4.1 with both Coldfire and Kinetis K60 devices and the CodeWarrior toolset. Most of my existing code ported over with little change whereas there are drastic driver changes in the SDK version of MQX. I was willing to make the changes for better future portability but I kept stalling on the lack of documentation and supporting examples on how I use the peripherals in real world applications. The full version of MQX had everything covered.

So to answer your question, the UART drivers in MQX 4.2 are very straight forward and there are many examples/documentation included and on this forum to use them as polled, interrupt, blocking, non-blocking, DMA and etc.

Mark

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Daniel,

no, the only document for that is MQX RTOS I/O Drivers User´s Guide chapter Serial-Device Families, p. 59

I hope this helps,

Iva

kena1
Contributor II

This document is helpful. I wish it was included in the documentation as part of the SDK download.

0 Kudos