Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash File System using MQX for KSDK 1.2

Jump to solution
mozturk
Contributor I

Hi!

I'm using an MK24FN1M running MQX Standard, KSDK version 1.2. I have an IS25LP128 serial NOR flash chip connected to SPI0 which I'd like to install a file system on (MFS?) and I'm having trouble figuring out what is supported by this KSDK release. What is the best approach to implementing a filesystem on serial NOR flash given this KSDK release?

I've read through the following discussions but they seem out of date:

File system on SPI flash

Using Micron's external Flash with MQX

FlashX vs Flash_LDD for using MFS with internal flash. 

Flash Translation Layer

Store MQX web pages externally

Any help is appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Meric,

A File System in Flash is not recommended practice, therefore Freescale does not provide an example for that, As you may know, since a file system is very intrusive and does a lot of data verification, it might damage the flash or in the best scenario it will reduce life cycle and endurance.

I just found an old sample code that uses MFS mounted over the MCU flash, it usesa ColdFire device (MCF5225x) with an old MQX version. You may need to port this application to current tools, but I strongly recommend to reconsider your applications requirements,

Best regards,

Carlos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Meric,

A File System in Flash is not recommended practice, therefore Freescale does not provide an example for that, As you may know, since a file system is very intrusive and does a lot of data verification, it might damage the flash or in the best scenario it will reduce life cycle and endurance.

I just found an old sample code that uses MFS mounted over the MCU flash, it usesa ColdFire device (MCF5225x) with an old MQX version. You may need to port this application to current tools, but I strongly recommend to reconsider your applications requirements,

Best regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos
mozturk
Contributor I

Thanks Carlos! You're right, I was looking for a file system which made the appropriate considerations for NOR flash, like SFFS from Embedded Access. Reading more about MFS it's clear it's not the right solution for flash.

I ended up incorporating SPIFFS​.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
kirandalvi
Contributor I

Hello Meric,

So with SPIFFS, can you create files similar to DOS file system?

I am planning to use file system over Serial Flash, so any inputs from your experience will be really helpful.

0 Kudos