cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The convinient stepper motor driver for FRDM-KL25Z

kevinamadiva
Contributor II

Hi,

i have a KL25Z, which i want to drrive multiple stepper motors with.  My issue is i need to get a steppper driver that does not need a volt- level shifter. Am requesting if sm1 has tried this out , and what driver can u recommend. I dont want an arduino shien. i need something like a DRV8825. Any help please?

5 Replies

DamarisOchoa
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Helloo Kevin,

I hope you are doing great. I have a question, do you need a driver that doesn´t have a level shifter, so the integrated circuit driver will have to have an output of the same voltage that the motor requires? I don´t know what the voltage is required for the motor.

Check the different options on  the following link: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?code=ANALOGHOME

It could be under Drivers and Switches or Engine and DC motor control. All these are integrated circuits.

The Board tools available are these: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=ANALOGTOOLBOX

And just  to confirm, you have checked the following shield used for our Freescale Cup Challenges: Freescale Cup Motor Driver Board. You can acquire it in our www.freescale.com with the part number TFC-Shield, it comes with the FRDM-KL25Z board. 

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

kevinamadiva
Contributor II

Hi DamarisOchoa maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I have a FRDM-KL25Z which av been trying to drive AT LEAST 4 Bipolar stepper motors. but i have not found the most convenient motor driver. I have a Pololu - DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier which is causing me a lot of headache. It just doesnt work with the KL25Z. i also tested with L293D and ULN200XX which worked but required that i shift the voltage from 3v-5v in order 4 them 2 interface with the board. But now i want a dedicated stepper motor driver (with a carrier) which would interface directly with the board and work directly with the 3v logic from the board pins. I also need a driver board that doesnt sit on top of the KL25Z which will end up limiting the number of pins i use (e.g THE ARDUINO SHIELD >> FRDM-KL25Z with the Arduino Motor Shield | MCU on Eclipse). therefore i need smth very small in size even if it drives 1 stepper motor i can be able to multiply them easily without my project becoming cumbersome. I hope that is clear enough.

Regards

0 Kudos

adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You can download the example driver that is used to control the Freescale Cup Shield for the Freedom KL25Z which has on board 2 channel Motor Driver ICs (MC33887APVW). It might be helpful. Unfortunately we do not have a code driver for the bipolar stepper motors you are using.

Hope this information can help you

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano
Technical Support Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kevinamadiva
Contributor II

i just bought a few DRV8825 pololu driver chips and they work out of the box directly with the KL25Z. Worked like charm. So if it would be helpful for someone, i suggest using the DRV8825 driver chip. Thanks for the help though.... :-D

DamarisOchoa
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kevin,

I checked who can help on this question and vicentegomez suggested to take this question to the Kinetis Microcontrollers Community where engineers can support with suggestions on Stepper Motor drivers.

Regards,

0 Kudos