AnsweredAssumed Answered

IMX6Q: Linux boot halts at PCIe config space read

Question asked by Adrian McGrath on Mar 29, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 by Adrian McGrath

Hello all

I have an IMX6Q system (similar to SabreSD but not the same) that is failing to boot into Linux. There are numerous of our systems with the same hw/sw that work flawlessly. This non-booting system has been checked over by the hardware dept and found to be okay.

I've tracked the boot halt through the Kernel to pci_bus_read_dev_vendor_id() in drivers/pci/probe.c. A few printk's reveal that the boot halts at the PCI config space read (pci_bus_read_config_dword()) of the i210 NIC chip (this is the only device on the PCIe bus).

Interestingly, I can get this system to successfully boot to the login prompt with full network capabilities if I spray the IMX6Q (only) liberally with freezer spray (this is clearly not a production solution;)

So, I've got two questions that I hope the community can help me with:

1) Given that other systems with equivalent hw/sw work well and that I can get this system to boot correctly by using freezer spray on the IMX6Q chip can anyone suggest what might be the issue?

2) Also, I'm wondering whether moving the PCIe device enumeration to later in the boot would help. I've so far been unable to find any suggestions for how to do this. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Outcomes