cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devicetree files aren’t updating in yocto image

Jump to solution
moose
Contributor IV

Hello, when I make changes to my evk board dts file, the changes don’t seem to make it to the image. To generate the image, I follow the standard procedure listed in IMXLXYOCTOUG and here is how I make the changes to my dts file:

bitbake virtual/kernel

bitbake -c devshell virtual/kernel

This opens a new shell. I make changes to imx8mn_evk.dts within tmp/work-shared/… directory and I then compile dts files within the new shell.

make dtbs

I exit the shell and then issue:

bitbake -c deploy virtual/kernel

Is this the correct procedure to update the board dts file? I am not sure if I am updating the correct file location or if I need to copy the file? Any guidance on how I should do this and why isn’t it working that would be appreciated. Thank you!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
amberworth
Contributor III

Sure.  Say I wanted to modify the devtree for an imx8m nano (ddr4 version):

I source my setup script into the build directory then:

1. devtool modify linux-imx  - This pulls and patches sources (including device tree entries)
  2. modify the device tree that has been pulled and patched into the workspace ( <build dir>/workspace/workspace/sources/linux-imx/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mn-ddr4-evk.dts)
  3. devtool build-image <image name> 
  4. load on to board with new image with uuu
  5. devtool finish (or update) to create patches and push changes from the workspace to your layer

View solution in original post

4 Replies
amberworth
Contributor III

I've been using devtool to make changes to the device trees.

0 Kudos
moose
Contributor IV

@amberworth any chance you could provide more details or instructions? I have used devtool to create/modify/upgrade a recipe but not sure how to use it to modify and update a devicetree file. Thank you!

0 Kudos
amberworth
Contributor III

Sure.  Say I wanted to modify the devtree for an imx8m nano (ddr4 version):

I source my setup script into the build directory then:

1. devtool modify linux-imx  - This pulls and patches sources (including device tree entries)
  2. modify the device tree that has been pulled and patched into the workspace ( <build dir>/workspace/workspace/sources/linux-imx/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mn-ddr4-evk.dts)
  3. devtool build-image <image name> 
  4. load on to board with new image with uuu
  5. devtool finish (or update) to create patches and push changes from the workspace to your layer

moose
Contributor IV

Thank you @amberworth for the detailed instructions. This actually worked just fine. I was also able to get it working using the devshell method. I found this link to be useful https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34175786/how-to-install-kernel-patch-locally-in-yocto/34187967

Thanks!