Tool to dump and analyze IVT/DCD data in i.MX binaries

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most common issues with bringup and memory stability come down to memory/system setup during startup phase of i.MX device.

This Python script allows you to dump IVT/DCD tables and data from a i.MX binary (either generated as result of build process or a simple dump of SD/NOR/NAND... content) and analyze them in an easier way. Should work with i.MX 6 and i.MX53 binaries.

Parser for i.MX 6 will also try to print out register values it recognizes, and also parse specific register fields, helping to analyze the data faster. This can be extended if needed to other registers/values.

imxbin.py works with Python3.x and imxbin_2x.py with Python 2.x, so choose appropriate version.

Vladan

Attachments
Comments

Vladan,

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

I am having some trouble. I have tried several binaries and I get this:

rod@i7:~/python imxbin.py -d imx6dq core-image-base-imx6qsabresd-20140903204707.rootfs.sdcard

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "imxbin.py", line 398, in <module>

f = ImxBin(args.imxbinary)

File "imxbin.py", line 40, in __init__

self.ivt_offset = self.file_data.find(0xD1,self.ivt_offset)

TypeError: expected a character buffer object

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Rod.

Hm, might need some more testing :smileyhappy: Don't remember from top of my head now, but does that .sdcard image contain only rootfs, or also u-boot and kernel at beginning? Do you get useful output with u-boot.bin or u-boot.imx files?

Br,

Vladan

Lähetetty Windows Phonesta

I tried: python imxbin.py -d imx6dq XYZ

with XYZ=

• u-boot.bin (LTIB)
  • u-boot-imx6qsabresd.imx (Yocto)
  • uImage (LTIB)
  • uImage-imx6qsabresd.bin (Yocto)
  • and the core---.sdcard (Yocto) here above

and get the same error.

Thanks for looking into this.

There's some differences between 2.7 and 3.x versions of Python that caused problems. Updated two versions of the script, so choose appropriate one for your Python version.

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎09-29-2014 06:21 AM
Updated by: