Guide for using NTAG 5 with LPC55S69

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This post contains step by step guide of how to use NTAG 5 with LPC55S69. The goal of this post is to enable developers to use NTAG 5 and LPC55S69 together, quickly and easily.

Attached with this post are two ready to use packages:

1.      'Simple_NDEF’ demonstrates how to read/write to NTAG 5 from the I2C  interface and field detection functionality.
  2.      'Passthrough’ demonstrates SRAM passthrough functionality, in which NTAG 5 acts as a fast bridge between the I2C interface device and RF interface device.

NTAG 5 Overview

NTAG 5 is a family of ISO/IEC 15693 and NFC Forum Type 5 Tag compliant tags with an EEPROM, SRAM, and I2C  host and slave interface. This ensures information exchange with all NFC Forum Devices with a tap. With this ability, the tag offers a long-reading range and privacy due to close proximity with mobile devices.

• NXP’s NTAG 5 boost shrinks the NFC footprint while adding AES security, so designers can deliver ultra-compact devices for use in IoT, consumer, and industrial applications. It is an NFC Forum-compliant contactless tag that delivers exceptional read range, giving tiny devices the ability to interact with the cloud, and other NFC-enabled devices, including smartphones.
  • NXP’s NTAG 5 link lets designers of sensor-equipped systems add an NFC interface with a wired host interface that’s configurable as an I2C master/slave, a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM), or a General-Purpose I/O (GPIO). Operating at 13.56 MHz, it is an NFC Forum-compliant contactless tag that can be read and written by an NFC-enabled device at close range and by an ISO/IEC 15693-enabled industrial reader over a longer range.

Hardware Requirements

1. NTAG 5 Evaluation Board (OM23510ARD)   

pastedImage_25.png

OM23510ARD                                   

2. LPCXpresso55S69 Board

pastedImage_26.png

Hardware Connections

Connecting the two boards is very easy since both have Arduino compatible headers, so simply plug the NTAG 5 EVK board on top of the LPCXpresso55S69 board.pastedImage_42.png pastedImage_43.png

1. Running 'Simple_NDEF' on LPC55S69 with NTAG 5

1. If this is the first time you’re using the LPCXpresso55S69 board, follow the getting started guide first LPC55S69-EVK. Make sure to install the SDK package for the LPC55S69 board which is required to run the project.
  2. Download the ‘Simple_NDEF’ package which you will find attached to this post.
  3. Drag and drop the downloaded package to the “Project Explorer” tab of your MCUXpresso IDE workspace (If you don’t have MCUXpresso, it can be downloaded for free from here:https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/software-development-tools/mcuxpresso-software-and-t...
  4. Now that the package has been imported to the MCUXpresso IDE (via drag and drop), click on the Debug icon from the Quickstart panel to begin a debug session. Once the debug session has started, click on the run icon to run the code:

Capture.PNG

5. After step 3, the project should be running now. Here is how the output looks in the terminal:

pastedImage_65.png

2. Running 'Passthrough' on LPC55S69 with NTAG5

1. If this is the first time you’re using the LPCXpresso55S69 board, follow the getting started guide first an LPC55S69-EVK | NXP. Make sure to install the SDK package for the LPC55S69 board which is required to run the project.
  2. Download the ‘Passthrough’ package which you will find attached to this post.
  3. Drag and drop the downloaded package to the “Project Explorer” tab of your MCUXpresso IDE workspace (If you don’t have MCUXpresso, it can be downloaded for free from here:https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/software-development-tools/mcuxpresso-software-and-t... 
  4. Now that the package has been imported to the MCUXpresso IDE (via drag and drop), click on the Debug icon from the Quickstart panel to begin a debug session. Once the debug session has started, click on the run icon to run the code:

Capture2.PNG

5. After step 3, the project should be running now. To check the passthrough functionality, install the NTAG 5 App and then go into passthrough functionality.

Available Resources

Labels (1)
Attachments
Comments

Download SDK as mentioned in chapter 2.1.3 of KW41Z User Manual and pay close attention to include NTAG I²C middleware.

Now, repeat the same procedure above for FRDM KW36, this will be the SDK on which we will be making the modifications for the porting mcdvoice

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎02-19-2020 05:18 AM
Updated by: