Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloader CAN for Kinetis KV5

Jump to solution
zephyr_care
Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to use a kinetis kv5x chip because it has a CAN bootloader integrated.

But, despite my researches, I don't understand very well how to use it.

So before to purchase one, I would like to know how it works. Is the bootloader already in the board or should I tranfer it by myself ? According to the chapter 14 of the KV5x ref manual, it seems to be already programed but I read AN and topics from users who had to program by themselves the bootloader.

If I link the board to the host PC, with a CAN adapter like the PCAN-USB from Peak System,

pastedImage_1.png

will the flash tool utility or the mfgtool detect the board and automatically allows me to transfer my bin file through CAN Bus ? By the way, these utilities allows to tranfer bin file by CAN or do I need any other soft ?

Or maybe, it will understand the Board is connected by USB,  or perhaps not detected at all ?

Any other advice who could help me understand how bootloader CAN works will be appreciated.##

Thanks in advance for your help,

Zephyr

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

flashloader: This subproject is the core of project. This subproject is laid in RAM. Because when implementing flash operation, code must be laid in RAM. When boot up, flashloader_loader/tower_bootloader copys flashloader's image to ram.
flashloader_loader: If you don't want to keep bootloader after download application, you can use this subproject. This code is laid in flash address0, and can be covered when download application.
tower_bootloader/freedom_bootloader: If you want to keep bootloader after download application, you should use this subproject.

mfgtool/blhost/KinetisFlashTool can only support UART/USB. If you want to use other port like I2C/CAN/SPI, please see the Embedded Host User's Guide.pdf in KBOOT package.

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

KV58 hasn't ROM bootlaoder as you can see at the start of chapter 14. But KV58 has been pre-programmed a flashloader in Flash. This flashloader is one time using. When KV58 running, it copy a bootloader image into RAM and the bootloader waiting for mfgtool/blhost/KinetisFlashTool's connection. When you download your own application via these tools, the flashloader is covered by the application's image.

I'm not sure if the USB-CAN adapter can work. But on the other hand USB-Serial adapter can work. Because for computer, the adapter is just like a serial port.

mfgtool/blhost/KinetisFlashTool can accept bin/hex/s19/srec file.

You can download the flashloader source code from MCU Bootloader|NXP 

Regards,

Jing

zephyr_care
Contributor I

Hello Jing,

Thank for your answer.

I still have questions.

First, what's the difference between the flashloader and the flashloader loader ?

Then, what if I download the bootloader application provided in the MKV58 SDK ?

Could I use one of these tools (mfgtool/blhost/KinetisFlashTool) then to dowload my own application through CAN-bus (or by other way than USB..) ?

Thank you again,

Zephyr

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

flashloader: This subproject is the core of project. This subproject is laid in RAM. Because when implementing flash operation, code must be laid in RAM. When boot up, flashloader_loader/tower_bootloader copys flashloader's image to ram.
flashloader_loader: If you don't want to keep bootloader after download application, you can use this subproject. This code is laid in flash address0, and can be covered when download application.
tower_bootloader/freedom_bootloader: If you want to keep bootloader after download application, you should use this subproject.

mfgtool/blhost/KinetisFlashTool can only support UART/USB. If you want to use other port like I2C/CAN/SPI, please see the Embedded Host User's Guide.pdf in KBOOT package.

Regards,

Jing