cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuations of ADC output for a constant DC input

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Hi,

I am using LPC54608J512BD208 microcontroller to design a Protection Relay. I am using ADC in software triggered mode. I run a CTIMER to get an interrupt after every 625 microsecond. On reception of CTIMER interrupt, we trigger sampling of ADC through software trigger. We sample 6 channels ( i.e Channels 0,4,5,6,7,8) of ADC stored  in sequence A. On completion of this sequence, ADC raises an interrupt. In ADC interrupt, the channels are read by reading the ADC result registers for each channel.

Observation: We have connected a constant 1.65V DC at input of ADC. There is ripple of hardly 2mV on the input signal as well as VREF of ADC. The output is observed to fluctuates a lot.Ideally, 2048 is the ADC output value expected but this output fluctuates from 1950 to 2090. I have collected 10000 samples during evaluation. Most of the times the output remains closer to 2048 but at times a spike/dip is observed in ADC o/p. All channels behave in the same manner.

We have tried following things in hardware to ensure that the problem is not through hardware:

1) Supplied a constant VREF through a table reference voltage generator IC

2) Connected a 2.9V constant battery at input of ADC.

3) Isolated Anaaog and Digital ground

4) Made analog and digital ground common.

But stilll the issue persists.

Kindly help in resolving this issue.

Thanks & best regards,

Prasanna

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Prasanna,

Can you use the SDK example code and have a test on your board? If the ADC samples fluctuate a lot on your own target board with the same example code, I think that the hardware has issue.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Dear xiangjun.rong‌,

Further observations on LPC546 ADC on LPC546 evaluation board (OM13092):
1) I was trying to observe the ADC fluctuation on sample driver code (ADC interrupt) on a single channel i.e ADC0_4.
    The sample code has a core clock of 180MHz derived from FRO_12Mhz through PLL. Ths clock is stepped scaled down by a factor of 3  and used as ADC clock.
    When 0V is connected to ADC0_4, the ADC output varies from 32 to 34.
2) When the core clock is changed to 48MHz FROH and ADC clock is scaled down by a factor of 3(i.e 16 MHz), the adc output varies from 0          to 1 for a 0V input
3) In experiment 2, if all the printf code is commented then the ADC output fluctuates from 0 to 9 counts for a 0V input.
4) In the code shared earlier in this mail chain (100 MHz core with ADC operating at 1MHz), i have modified the code to sample a single              channel i.e ADC0_4. When the interrupt mode is kept at ADC_INTERRUPT_AFTER_ENTIRE SEQUENCE, the ADC output varies from 0 to 12      counts whereas it varies by only one count if interrupt mode is kept at ADC_INTERRUPT_AFTER_EACH_CONVERSION. 
    However, while sampling multiple channels in a sequence, this interrupt mode setting doesn't produce any difference i.e. ADC output            varies by more than 10 counts.
I have attached the codes used in experiment 4.
Thanks and best regards,
Prasanna
0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Dear xiangjun.rong‌,

We have found strange observation during testing of ADC on LPC546 card.

When PE micro debugger is connected, ADC output variations for DC input is high whereas it is considerably low when tested without PE micro debugger (Same is the observation when using SWD connection from LPC11U68 Expresso board to debug LPC546).

Following are the ADC results observed:

Card 1:

Input Voltage(V)ADC Channel
With PE Micro
Without PE MIcro
MinMaxMinMax
1.65 V (DC)

ADC0_02014207520472051
ADC0_42020206420452054
ADC0_52032205820462051
ADC0_62016206020482056
ADC0_72021205620462052
ADC0_82018205120412048

Card 2:

Input Voltage(V)ADC Channel
With PE Micro
Without PE MIcro
MinMaxMinMax
1.65 V (DC)

ADC0_02010206620462052
ADC0_42035206120472054
ADC0_52031206220452051
ADC0_62025205920502056
ADC0_72019205620462052
ADC0_82037204920412048

Please help in resolving this issue.
Thanks & best regards,
Prasanna
0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Prasanna,

I have changed the code like:

BOARD_InitPins();
    //BOARD_BootClockFROHF48M();
    //BOARD_BootClockFROHF96M();
    BOARD_BootClockPLL180M();
    BOARD_InitDebugConsole();

static void ADC_Configuration(void)
{
    adc_config_t adcConfigStruct;
    adc_conv_seq_config_t adcConvSeqConfigStruct;

/* Configure the converter. */
#if defined(FSL_FEATURE_ADC_HAS_CTRL_ASYNMODE) & FSL_FEATURE_ADC_HAS_CTRL_ASYNMODE
    adcConfigStruct.clockMode = kADC_ClockSynchronousMode; /* Using sync clock source. */
#endif                                                     /* FSL_FEATURE_ADC_HAS_CTRL_ASYNMODE */
   // adcConfigStruct.clockDividerNumber = 1;                /* The divider for sync clock is 2. */
    adcConfigStruct.clockDividerNumber = 2;                /* Rong wrote: The divider for sync clock is 3, the ADC click frequency is 180MHz/3=60MHz, the up-limit is 80MHz. */
#if defined(FSL_FEATURE_ADC_HAS_CTRL_RESOL) & FSL_FEATURE_ADC_HAS_CTRL_RESOL
    adcConfigStruct.resolution = kADC_Resolution12bit;

Test1:

when I connect the J12_2 to GND, the sample is all 0 as the following Fig with the code:

pastedImage_1.png

Test2:

when I connect the J12_2 to 3.3V, the sample is  as the following Fig with the code:

pastedImage_2.png

So no problem for the ADC converter even if using PLL.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Hi xiangjunrong‌,

Thanks for your input!

Why am i getting the fluctuations any idea?

Also please refer my erlier communications with the forum where i have shared the code as well. Can you check if there is any problem in the firmware?

I need one more favor as there is still lockdown in my region and i don't have access to hardware.

I can see that you are checking the output by conncecting either GND or VDD to ADC input. Can you please try following things in the same firmware at LPC546 development board:

1) Core clock at 100 Mhz PLL derived from external crystal

2) Adc clock (1 MHz) derived from core clock

3) DC voltage at ADC input other than reference voltages (lets say 1V or 2V)

4) Create a buffer of 10K samples in firmware and check the maximum and minimum variation in these 10K samples

Thanks & best regards,

Prasanna

0 Kudos

andyjackson
Contributor III

Hello Prasanna and xiangjun.rong,

I have been following this thread with interest. For reference I am seeing similar issues with the ADC output. As suggested by Prasanna, it would be very helpful to see the results of something other than 0V or Vref as they are not representative 'real world' values. I have been testing using a good quality PSU and resistors to generate the test voltage and see surprising variations in the ADC output.

Kind regards,

Andy

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Prasanna,

I have tested both 48MHz and 24MHz of ADC clock frequency, the result are the same.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Hi XiangJun Rong‌,

You might be using sample code from SDK which is operating at internal 48 MHz clock.

I am facing problem while operating the core at 100 MHZ derived from PLL. The ADC output drops considerably. 

The 20 usec delay to be provided after PDRUNCFG0 PDEN_ADC0 bit is not there in the drivers provided by MCUXpresso SDK.

pastedImage_1.png

So please eveluate the performance at 100 MHz PLL clock stepped down to 1 Mhz and fed to ADC module.

Thank & best regards,

Prasanna

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Prasanna,

I have used ADC channel 4(J12_2 on LPCXpresso54808 board, PIO0_16/ADC0_IN4) to test the external voltage, when I connect the J12_2 to 3.3V, the sample is from 4091~4093 as the following Fig.

when I connect the J12_2 to GND, the sample is all 0 as the following Fig.

In conclusion, the ADC has not issue.

BR

Xiangjun Rong

pastedImage_1.png

Test GND results:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Prasanna,

Pls refer to the following fig, you'd better use 10uF and 0.1uF bypass caps to VDDA and VREFP pins, furthermore, you have to have capability to provide enough current to the Vrefp pin.

Secondly, I suggest you connect an external capacitor to the analog channel, especially connect 100 ohm resistor and 2.2nF capacitor for each analog channel.

From software, pls try to change the TSAMP bit as 3b'111 for the ADC control register.

Anyway, I think the ADC sample fluctuation from 1950 to 2090 is a bit large.

This is what I can consider, but I do not guarantee it can solve your issue. Pls have a try.

BR

XiangJun Rong

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Hi xiangjunrong‌,

Thanks for your input.

I have tried all the methods suggested above.

1) We have connected 10uF & 0.1uF at VREF pin. I have attached schematic of the same. We have also ensired that the capacitors are close to the VREF pin.

2) We have connected 100 ohms and a 0.1uF at the input of every ADC pin.

3) The TSAMP setting in software is already 7.

But nothing worked.

We are operating microcontroller at 100 MHz. This clock is stepped down to 1 MHz and fed to ADC. ADC is operating in synchronous mode.

Please analyze further and try to simulate the same condition at LPC546 evaluation board.

Thanks & best regards,

Prasanna

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III
 2) We have connected 100 ohms and a 0.1uF at the input of every ADC pin.

What would be the resulting input impedance ?

See table 1045 (page 1085) for related requirements. Perhaps you need a buffer opamp.

IMHO the configurable sample time range is objectionable. Other devices allow up to about 500 clock cycles, which eases the requirements for the analog circuitry / buffer amplifier.

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Prasanna,

Pls refer to the differential linearity error(ED) spec in the data sheet of LPC5460x.pdf, it is less than +/-3LSB. When you test the same DC voltage, the fluctuation is 2090-1950=40LSB, so it is abnormal.

If you connect the ADC analog channel to GND directly, and sample the channel, what is the result?

BTW, the ADC sample error is related to hardware design, do you have LPC5460x evaluation board and have a test?

pastedImage_1.png

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Hi xiangjunrong‌,

Thanks for your input!

1) Yes. The observation is indeed strange and unacceptable. 

2) I have not connected ground directly to ADC input. Also i may not be able to perform this now because of the lockdown in my region.

3) I don't have eveluation board. Otherwise i would have got direct comparision on it. That's why requesting your support in this issue. 

Please try to simulate this issue on the evaluation board at your end.

Also could debugger or IDE play a role in this?. I am using PE Multilink for debugging.

Thanks & best regards,

Prasanna

0 Kudos

prasannanaik
Contributor III

Hi xiangjunrong‌,

Were you able to simulate the issue in evaluation board of lpc54608.

Also, please check the operation of adc with core clock raised to 100MHz through PLL. 

Thanks & best regards,

Prasanna

0 Kudos