Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDRAM problems when flash is read-protected

Jump to solution
cgarcia1
Contributor II

Hi guys!

I'm using a Tower with Kinetis K65, and I managed some time ago to configure SDRAM and use it with not too much problems, but today I faced a very very strange issue.

Everything works fine when FTFE_FSEC is 0xFE, but when I change SEC bits to != 0b10, the device doesn't boots up.

Of course, under this circumstance I can't debug, as on-board flash is read-protected. After several tests, I found that when I disable the SDRAM initialization, the device works fine.

Anyone has seen something similar before? Can you give any indication of what can be wrong?

I have tested several combinations of FTFE_FSEC[SEC] bits. No positive results when flash external read is disbled.

This is my latest setting (in startup_MK65F18.S) :

/* Flash Configuration */

.section .FlashConfig, "a"

.long 0xFFFFFFFF

.long 0xFFFFFFFF

.long 0xFFFFFFFF

.long 0xFFFFFFBF

I'm using KDS with MQX. SDRAM configuration is done with ProcessorExpert (and it works fine when FTFE_FSEC[SEC] == 0b10)

Thank you in advance :smileyhappy:

EDIT: Device is able to boot (although SDRAM is not working) when I comment this two lines in SDRAM_Init.c

/* Write to an appropriate SDRAM address generates the pall command to the SDRAM block */

//*((uint8_t *)CS0_SDRAM_BASE_ADDRESS) = 0x00U;

and

/* Write access to the SDRAM address space generates the MRS command to that SDRAM */

//*((uint32_t *)CS0_MRS_COMMAND_ADDRESS) = 0x00000000U;

It seems that this two lines are attempting to write to SDRAM address, and I suspect that this is causing any kind of CPU fault.

It's very strange... when I set FTFE_FSEC[SEC] to 0b10 everything works just fine...

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
cutworth
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carlos,

This is related to the security level on Kinetis. Please see following description from K65 RM.

9.3.1 Security interactions with FlexBus and SDRAM controller

When flash security is enabled, SIM_SOPT2[FBSL] enables/disables off-chip accesses

through the FlexBus and the SDRAM interfaces. The FBSL bitfield also has an option to

allow opcode and operand accesses or only operand accesses.

Default configuration for FBSL disallow Flexbus or SDRAM access. So you need to program FBSL to appropriate configuration.

pastedImage_0.png

Hao

View solution in original post

3 Replies
cgarcia1
Contributor II

I have tested SDRAM example posted in Re: can't read data back from SDRAM , and the same issue happens.

I have modified it a little, to print a message on console when SDRAM tests are performed -> it works fine when flash is not protected and fails when flash is protected.

Please, could anyone tell me if faced the same problem and if could resolve it?

0 Kudos
cutworth
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carlos,

This is related to the security level on Kinetis. Please see following description from K65 RM.

9.3.1 Security interactions with FlexBus and SDRAM controller

When flash security is enabled, SIM_SOPT2[FBSL] enables/disables off-chip accesses

through the FlexBus and the SDRAM interfaces. The FBSL bitfield also has an option to

allow opcode and operand accesses or only operand accesses.

Default configuration for FBSL disallow Flexbus or SDRAM access. So you need to program FBSL to appropriate configuration.

pastedImage_0.png

Hao

cgarcia1
Contributor II

Thank you, Hao, for your answer!

I found the place to configure this setting in ProcessorExpert (in FB component)

fbsl_pex.png

Configuring FBSL to the desired value solves the issue. Now I'm able to access SDRAM data with internal flash protection.

Thank you for your precise answer :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos