Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmer recommended for kinetis k64

Jump to solution
kcg
Contributor I

Hello

I would like to programer through JTAG MCU of kinetis k64, specifically a MK64FN1M0M12. I have been looking programmers of j-link or PE-Micro (USB Multilink Universal,J-link BASE...).

What is programmer the best of MCU kinetis k64?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
antonioconcio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

The kinetis K series such as K64 supports both JTAG and SWD debug interfaces.

Having said that, both P&E Multilinks and Segger J-Link working great, as well as I-jet if you are using IAR; I'd say to go on with what you have already, if any.

Personally I am fine with J-Link but as mentioned also Universal Multilink is really OK.

I don't know what IDE you are using, in case it is KDS let me add that KDS supports obviously P&E Multilinks (including P&E OpenSDAv1), Segger J-Link (OpenSDAv1 and OpenSDAv2) and OpenOCD with CMSIS-DAP (both OpenSDAv1 and OpenSDAv2).

You can see HERE how to setup debug configurations with recommended settings.

Hope that helps,

Antonio

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
antonioconcio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

The kinetis K series such as K64 supports both JTAG and SWD debug interfaces.

Having said that, both P&E Multilinks and Segger J-Link working great, as well as I-jet if you are using IAR; I'd say to go on with what you have already, if any.

Personally I am fine with J-Link but as mentioned also Universal Multilink is really OK.

I don't know what IDE you are using, in case it is KDS let me add that KDS supports obviously P&E Multilinks (including P&E OpenSDAv1), Segger J-Link (OpenSDAv1 and OpenSDAv2) and OpenOCD with CMSIS-DAP (both OpenSDAv1 and OpenSDAv2).

You can see HERE how to setup debug configurations with recommended settings.

Hope that helps,

Antonio

0 Kudos
kcg
Contributor I

Hello Antonio   

Sorry to bother you again. Is there any option of low cost programmer with free software? not be necessary I could debug.

thanks

0 Kudos
antonioconcio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kelvin,

Please have a look at the following hyperlinks:

Freedom Board with Segger OpenSDA Debug Firmware and KDS settings HERE.

Hope that helps,

Antonio

kcg
Contributor I

Hi Antonio   

Thanks for your help. Do you know any software free for to program my own hardware through JTAG?

thans Antonio

0 Kudos
antonioconcio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sure Kevin,

KDS is what you are looking for.

Please refer HERE for more details.

Regards,

Antonio

0 Kudos
kcg
Contributor I

hello Antonio

I've found this device USBDM Emulator BDM Kinetis ARM Support K60 HCS12 HC08 DSP Coldfire | eBay.

I have seen that this device is compatible with MCU K64 but, do I need special hardware in my device to work with this programer to jtag?

thanks

0 Kudos
kcg
Contributor I

Hi Antonio

Sorry I have not explained well. I'm looking a software that it's only for programmer, because KDS is heavy.

thanks Antonio

0 Kudos
kcg
Contributor I

Thank you Antonio

your comments have been a great help

0 Kudos