cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bricked Kinetis K60 workaround?

Jump to solution
gavroche123
Contributor II

I think i have permanently bricked a K60 tower by aborting a download mid-stream... is this likely? Is there any workaround (I have seen some related postings for the J-LINK) but I only have the PE OSJtag. Tried the usual power cycling, erasing etc.

Can I send it back? I am more than slightly unhappy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
gavroche123
Contributor II

Aha - this was due to a bad icf file - I don't know what exactly (i will learn something from looking!), but i figure it was setting the 0x40c location so that it looked secure, once programming had finished, and debugging was about to start. Reverting to an older one has fixed this problem, although I still cannot get the RAM vectors to work!)

That forced the warning message and I was unable to proceed.The other location to look at (thanks Hui-ma) is  at 0x40020002 ref manual section 28.34.2

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gavroche123
Contributor II

Aha - this was due to a bad icf file - I don't know what exactly (i will learn something from looking!), but i figure it was setting the 0x40c location so that it looked secure, once programming had finished, and debugging was about to start. Reverting to an older one has fixed this problem, although I still cannot get the RAM vectors to work!)

That forced the warning message and I was unable to proceed.The other location to look at (thanks Hui-ma) is  at 0x40020002 ref manual section 28.34.2

0 Kudos
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You need to check your programmed Flash configuration Field 0x40C address value. This value will be loaded to FTFA_FSEC register during chip reset. Please check FTFA_FSEC [MEEN] bits value if it with mass erase enable or not. If this bit are setting with mass erase is enabled, you could use JTAG tool, such as P&E OSJTAG to do mass erase to unsecure the chip. If this bit with mass erase is disabled. There is no way to unsecure the board, otherwise you had added back door related code to unsecure the chip. If so, for K60 is the BGA package, it is really hard to replace a new chip. Unfortunately, it was customer fault cause the board broken, we don't provide that kind of warranty service. Sorry for that.

0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

The J-LINK is not a "workaround" if you did permanently disable the device.

You should use the Flash programmer and use "Erase Whole Device" to see if you can restore it.

Finally, there is not conclusive evidence that you cause this malfunction, so I would return and let Freescale determine the cause.

As far as I know, aborting a download should not brick the device, and if it does, then it is the fault of the manufacturer for not warning the user that aborting a download could cause permanent damage to the device.

0 Kudos