Adding HardFault handlers in KDS3/KSDK1.2?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding HardFault handlers in KDS3/KSDK1.2?

Jump to solution
dave408
Senior Contributor II

I have read Erich Styger's blog Debugging Hard Faults on ARM Cortex-M | MCU on Eclipse regarding the creation of a separate fault handler for each fault type.  Admittedly, I never actually used them in my previous project under KDS2/KSDK1.1, but I did see the option to select "own handler" in the Build Options for the CPU settings in PEx.

I'm trying to debug a problem with my application, and want to be able to see what sort of fault it's encountering, but I cannot find this PEx setting in KDS3/KSDK1.2.  This is what I see:

33624_33624.pngpastedImage_1.png

Does anyone know what we are supposed to do in the new IDE?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
dave408
Senior Contributor II

The way to handle specific fault handlers in KDS 3.0 is to simply define your own fault handler functions.  They are weak-linked.  You can create fault_handlers.c and paste in this code:

1. void HardFault_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 
  4. void MemManage_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 
  7. void BusFault_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 
  10. void UsageFault_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 

I have tested this with one of my applications that is currently crashing somehow, and when I add the handlers, I do end up in HardFault_Handler, and now just need to figure out how to debug it.  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dave408
Senior Contributor II

The way to handle specific fault handlers in KDS 3.0 is to simply define your own fault handler functions.  They are weak-linked.  You can create fault_handlers.c and paste in this code:

1. void HardFault_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 
  4. void MemManage_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 
  7. void BusFault_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 
  10. void UsageFault_Handler(unsigned long *hardfault_args) 

I have tested this with one of my applications that is currently crashing somehow, and when I add the handlers, I do end up in HardFault_Handler, and now just need to figure out how to debug it.  Smiley Happy

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dave,

The Kinetis SDK changed the API, so that functionality and feature of Processor Expert is not any more available if you use the Kinetis SDK.

In some sense, it is not applicable any more for the SDK.

The Kintetis SDK uses its own vector table. You find that vector table with the vector names in the startup code (for MK64F e.g. this is SDK\platform\devices\MK64F12\startup\gcc\startup_MK64F12.S).

I hope this helps,

Erich

dave408
Senior Contributor II

I was wrong about it being a BusFault, so my evaluation must have been incorrect.  I found that the fault handlers are all weak linked, so I just defined my own functions for HardFault_Handler, MemManage_Handler, BusFault_Handler, and UsageFault_Handler.  When I set breakpoints in all three, HardFault_Handler was the one that got called.  Can you help me to understand where I went wrong during my diagnosis?

0 Kudos
dave408
Senior Contributor II

BlackNight​ ok, I'm trying my best here.  I took your base assembly code and slightly modified it because r1 was 0, and I couldn't tell if the offending call was made from the main stack or process stack.  I saw that r6 wasn't used in this context, so I just set it to 1 or 2, depending on the branch condition:

__asm volatile (

" movs r0,#4       \n"

" movs r1, lr      \n"

" tst r0, r1       \n"

" beq _MSP         \n"

"movs r6,#1\n"

" mrs r0, psp      \n"

" b _HALT          \n"

"_MSP:               \n"

"movs r6,#2\n"

" mrs r0, msp      \n"

"_HALT:              \n"

" ldr r1,[r0,#20]  \n"

" bkpt #0          \n"

);

Since r6 was 2 after I stepped over this function, the problem must be on the main stack, which I assume is the non-RTOS task stack.  If r1 is 0, does this mean that somehow main is trying to call a method on a null pointer?

0 Kudos
dave408
Senior Contributor II

Thanks, Erich.  That does help for sure.  But now I just have to figure out how the fault handlers work.  It does look like all of them point to the same handler (_int_kernel_isr), so now I'm just wading through code to see how I'm supposed to trap the error.  I'll try making my own functions and see if any of them get called -- at the moment, it appears that there isn't a fault that's causing my code to stop executing.  I'll post my findings.

EDIT - I was expecting the fault handlers to call _int_default_isr...

pastedImage_0.png

I guess this implies that I need to read up on these macros -- elsewhere in the code it looks like _int_default_isr is intended for unhandled exceptions.  So I put a breakpoint there and it does hit it.  So this means my application did stop due to an unhandled exception, so now I just have to figure out which one.

EDIT - BlackNight​ looking at startup_MK64F12.S, I see the list of vector numbers.  Being mostly assembly-illiterate, I took this info:

pastedImage_0.png

and working backwards up the list, it looks like NMI_Handler would then be 0.  When I hit the breakpoint in _int_default_isr, it looked like the unhandled exception had a vector number of 3, which is BusFault_Handler.  Reading dereksnell​'s post Tracking down Hard Faults , it sounds like it's likely an invalid memory address that's causing my problem, which sounds right since merely calling netconn_accept() (modified to simply return 0) causes the crash to occur.  He said it could also be accessing a peripheral register before the clock is enabled, but I don't think this is the case since I can ping the device up until the point where I call netconn_accept.

Can you recommend any other debugging strategies?  In the meantime, I will try to decipher your post Debugging Hard Faults on ARM Cortex-M | MCU on Eclipse  to see if I can determine what causes the memory corruption.

Thank you!

0 Kudos