Why is Kinetis SDK greyed out in New Kinetis Project?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Kinetis SDK greyed out in New Kinetis Project?

Jump to solution
stephenspears
Contributor II

I have a new installation of KDS Studio 3.0.0 and have followed the Getting Started with Kinetis SDK Guide for adding the Kinetis SDK.  I have the FRDM-K64F board.  When I try to create a new Kinetis project it does not seem to have any knowledge of the SDK being loaded.  After many searches I am suspicious of environmental variables or paths.  I don't seem to have a KDSK_PATH variable defined that I have seen other people have.  Is this something I should create manually or did I miss a step somewhere?  I also see that I don't have ${eclipse_home}\..\toolchain\bin defined in my Path.  I hope these clues can point to something I have missed.  I did 'install new software' to load the KSDK 1.2.0 Eclipse Update.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

Hmmm.

Have you tried to re-associate the KDS with the KSDK a second time using the Help->Install New Software...   clicking the Add.. button then Archive... button and browse to C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\tools\eclipse_update\KSDK_1.2.0_Eclipse_Update.zip ?

Re-start KDS and try again?

If yes and it is still not working, I did once have a customer with very old Java install (their company had a proprietary application that required the older version of Java to run) causing the installation and association to mess up like what you are showing.  Once they updated the Java version they were good to go.

Please reference:

C:/Freescale/KDS_3.0.0/eclipse/readme/readme_eclipse.html

If the Java version is not the issue I would try total uninstall and re-install.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

Have you associated the KDS with the KSDK by doing the Help->Install New Software...  steps?

If not, please review Chapter 4 of C:\Freescale\KDS_3.0.0\doc\KDS_Users_Guide.pdf

After doing that, please also repeat the Help->Install New Software... step to get online updates for KDS/KSDK that are essential.

ScreenHunter_146 Jun. 03 11.02.gif

Then click the "Select All" button, and follow wizard instructions.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
stephenspears
Contributor II

Hi David, I have already done that.  Everything is installed and updated.  See if anything is missing:

kinetis1.png

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

It looks like you might have done the Help->Check for Updates.

This is a no no so to speak.  "Check for Updates" is checking to see if their are Eclipse updates and not if their are Freescale updates to apply to the specific KDS install.

Since Eclispe is Open Source project, that menu item is present (and I'm guessing there might be some case where you want to do that update).

Can you try to un-install the plug-ings not show in my below image and re-test?  I'm guessing they might be the issue.

ScreenHunter_147 Jun. 03 13.19.gif

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
stephenspears
Contributor II

David,

My Installed Software list looks like yours now.  The Kinetis SDK is still grayed out for the FRDM-K64F.

kinetis2.png

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

Hmmm.

Have you tried to re-associate the KDS with the KSDK a second time using the Help->Install New Software...   clicking the Add.. button then Archive... button and browse to C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\tools\eclipse_update\KSDK_1.2.0_Eclipse_Update.zip ?

Re-start KDS and try again?

If yes and it is still not working, I did once have a customer with very old Java install (their company had a proprietary application that required the older version of Java to run) causing the installation and association to mess up like what you are showing.  Once they updated the Java version they were good to go.

Please reference:

C:/Freescale/KDS_3.0.0/eclipse/readme/readme_eclipse.html

If the Java version is not the issue I would try total uninstall and re-install.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
joeseymour
Contributor III

For completeness, KDS comes bundled with its own JRE; any version(s) of Java independently installed on the machine shouldn't make a difference.

0 Kudos
stephenspears
Contributor II

Hi David,

I have tried to re-associate multiple times.  It just says that all items are installed.

My Java is fully updated already.

I uninstalled and reinstalled.  No change.

Stephen

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I sent Message to your account to take this offline to figure out then update this post afterwards.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
stephenspears
Contributor II

David,

It is working correctly now.  There isn't an option to uninstall the SDK so I had not tried that.  I ran the Kinetis SDK 1.2.0 Mainline install program again and that fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen

0 Kudos