Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Initialization File for Memory Test

Jump to solution
rfxiGEMmonot4r
Contributor II

Hello,

I am using  the NXP FRWY-LS1046A-AC Freeway Board and programming a Bare Metal C Application.

I am using the NXP Debug Probe to debug the device.

My plan is to perform a full DRAM Test before a C context is established for beeing able to test the full DRAM. On C level (starting from void main()) would be the problem that I am already executing from the DRAM and I would overwrite my program data from where I execute.

I thought using the "Target Initialization File could be an elegant solution.

I noticed that there are already several initialization functions and I could add my own one.

However, I am not sure in which programming language this file is written? Maybe someone could give me details and a list of commands?

And I am not sure if it is possible to perform a memory test from here. I would need to write and read different patterns to the whole DRAM.

As far as I understand, the "Taget Initialization File" gives direct access to the SoC over the JTAg adapter without running code in the target? Or maybe a program is only executed in the internal RAM which would be also no problem since I want to test the external DRAM.

Hope someone can help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
rfxiGEMmonot4r
Contributor II

Thank you very much for your answer.

I just realized that using GDB commands won't work as also the Target Initialization File is not working.

I need to perform the DDR memory test without the TAP so I need to somehow implement this test as a part of the image.

Now I am thinking of performing the DRAM test from a app that executes from the OCRAM.

I found out that I can switch to OCRAM execution by clicking project -> Build configurations -> Set active -> Debug OCRAM

That seems to work an I can implement a small app that executes from the OCRAM and verifies the DRAM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The "Taget Initialization File" gives direct access to controller configuration registers of SoC over the JTAG adapter without running code on the target.

I consider you could use GDB debug commands(for memory accessing) that can be run in GDB console to do memory test.

After CodeWarrior executing CW initialization file to connect to the target board before executing the sample program, you could open "Debugger console" panel, type GDB debug command to access and test DRAM memory.

Please refer to "6.5 Memory tools GDB extensions" in C:\Freescale\CW4NET_v2020.06\CW_ARMv8\ARMv8\Help\PDF\ARMv8_Targeting_Manual.pdf for details.

rfxiGEMmonot4r
Contributor II

Thank you very much for your answer.

I just realized that using GDB commands won't work as also the Target Initialization File is not working.

I need to perform the DDR memory test without the TAP so I need to somehow implement this test as a part of the image.

Now I am thinking of performing the DRAM test from a app that executes from the OCRAM.

I found out that I can switch to OCRAM execution by clicking project -> Build configurations -> Set active -> Debug OCRAM

That seems to work an I can implement a small app that executes from the OCRAM and verifies the DRAM.

0 Kudos