Codewarrior and USB Multilink in Windows 7/64

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codewarrior and USB Multilink in Windows 7/64

AndersJ
Contributor IV

I use CW 4.7 for HCS12X, and CW 6.3 for HCS08.

I also use the USB Multilink, primarily to download code, not so much for debugging.

I run this in Windows 2000 since these tools do not work properly in 64 bit Windows 7.

Have the problems been dealt with?

Will the current version of CW and USB Multilink work W7/64, or are there still problems?

How about Windows 10?

Thankful for any clarifications,

Anders J

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Anders,

I think it would be better if you post your question about the licenses not being found on the CodeWarrior Licensing space:

https://community.freescale.com/community/codewarrior/cw-licensing

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Carlos Mendoza

Technical Support Engineer

https://community.freescale.com/message/641975

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Anders,

I would reccomend you to use the latest versions of the IDEs to avoid having problems with the drivers. The latest CodeWarrior version for the HCS12(X) Microcontrollers (v5.2) is supported by the following host platforms:

• Microsoft® Windows® 7 32- and 64-bit (Professional Edition)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 32- and 64-bit (Home Premium)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 32- and 64-bit
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 32- and 64-bit
  • Microsoft Windows 10 32- and 64-bit

You can find more information on this page:

CodeWarrior Dev Tools for HCS12(X) MCUs|NXP

And the latest CodeWarrior version for the RS08/S08 MCUs (v10.6) is supported by the following host platforms:

• Microsoft® Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit (Professional Edition)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Premium Edition and Professional Edition)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Premium Edition and Professional Edition)

You can find more information on this page:

CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers-Eclipse IDE|NXP

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Carlos Mendoza

Technical Support Engineer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AndersJ
Contributor IV

Thanks for all comments on this issue.
I may need to upgrade to newer CW versions for both HCS12 and HCS08.

Changing the development environment is not always as easy as it sounds however,

when products have approvals that restrict these kind of changes.

For the foreseeable future I need to stay with the CW versions I have.

Due to the 64 bit issues I have now attempted installation in Windows 7/32 hoping for better results.

I have however been unable to successfully move the USB dongle from the older Windows 2000

machine to the new W7/32 machine.

- The dongle is installed and recognized by lmtools.exe, and the red led is on.
- When I start CW 6.3 I'm told its the last day of the current license.

- When I start CW 4.7 I am told a valid license key was not found at the expected location C:\Program files\etc.

This is true in one way.

Both programs were installed in C:\Program, by the installer, NOT in C:\Program Files\etc.

I do not know why this W7 machine does not even have the  C:\Program Files\Etc folder.

Edward K, above, mentioned that he recommends another installation folder than C:\Program Files\etc.

I'm happy to do that if necessary, but if the license files need to be in the recommended folder that may not work.

I have tried creating C:\Program Files manually and put the license files there.

Same bad result.

Why are my license files not found?

Are they expected to be somewhere else?

BR,

Anders J

0 Kudos

kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Anders,

you should mention that you have dongle as well. All grief moving to x64 Windows is caused by lack of new x64 drivers and/or some incompatibility of old SW with new drivers. You original request was about P&E USB Multilink and x64, which is supported well by CW 5.x for S12(X), and somewhat working with CW 6.3 for MCUs. Dongle is another matter. The best dongle is host locked license to .. USB network card, which causes no problems in x64 Windows.

You admin could rename programs folder. And you need to avoid installing old SW in that renamed programs files folder. The problem is that Win v>=7 prevent creating settings files in programs folders and redirect such settings files calls to different folder something like user / appdata /roaming . I had remember having some issues with CW5 until reinstalling to different location, other than program files.

Regards

Edward

0 Kudos

AndersJ
Contributor IV

Thanks Edward,

If I put the license,
and possibly the entire CW installation in a folder with some other name C:\XYZ\...... will the dongle find the license files?

Anders

0 Kudos

kef2
Senior Contributor IV

I don't know, I don't have CW dongle. I just recommend you to install classic CW in folder not affected by too smart Windows 7 and later Windows versions. Default programs install folder is affected by those smart Win >=7  features and causes problems with old SW.

0 Kudos

kef2
Senior Contributor IV

CW5.1 installs and works fine with Win>=7 x64. Though I recommend installing it in not in Program Files, but in some different folder.

There's a x64 workaround for CW6.3 Install CodeWarrior 6.3 Windows 7 & 10 x64 directly (Classic version) . But after a month or few of successfull usage you may get P&E driver licence error..., which will victim also unhacked CW5.1. P&E promise it's being fixed, but i'm not sure - still less than a month after fixing it by installing latest v12 P&E drivers.

0 Kudos