cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Started with K60 and Processor Expert

jimtrudeau
Senior Contributor I

All:

I've attached a step-by-step hands on guide that walks you through the process of creating and downloading an app to a K60 tower module board, from scratch, using Processor Expert embedded components - logical device drivers.

The end result - pretty blinking lights!

Seriously - a solid introduction to the processor/driver configuration tool, from scratch. Processor Expert is a LOT more than just a driver configuration tool, but you have to start somewhere. :smileyhappy:  Have fun, and I hope this helps. 

21 Replies

broccolee
Contributor III

Hi,

I am currently trying to generate the code (on page 19 in the document), but I do not see the "Generate Processor Expert Code" option under the drop-down menu, in fact this is what I see:

ProjectDropDownMenu.jpg

I have installed the latest version of codewarrior, "CW_MCU_v10.5_SE". How should I proceed with the turorial? Did I need to install or download additional stuff?? Anybody's help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dao.

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello:

The tutorial was for CW v10.1, and things are a little different in CW v10.5. But do not worry, you can generate code with next options

A- Right click on ProcessorExpert.pe and click on "Generate Processor Expert Code"

Right_click.png

B- Or simply click on the little icon from the Components View.

Components_view.png

Hope this solves your doubt

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

broccolee
Contributor III

Thanks Jorge! It works splendid!

I have one last problem, which is establishing connection with the board... I get the following errors when debugging:

PE Connection Assistant Error.jpg

Error Details.png

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this, I had previously downloaded and installed the necessary driver from PEmicro (I think...) . I downloaded the two setup applications: "pemicro_osbdm_osjtag_tower_toolkit" & "PEDrivers_install". Am I doing something wrong or missing something? I am using the OSJTAG Mini-B USB connector, and I had removed all the jumpers. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for all of your time!

Thanks,

Dao.

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello:

There are several possibilities for CodeWarrior not communicating properly with your programming tool, e.g. incorrect or corrupted USB drivers, long or loose cable connections. Please run a search here in the community and you will find a bunch of information about this problem.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

broccolee
Contributor III

Thanks for your suggestion!

I found this blog Virtual COM/USB CDC for OSBDM/OSJTAG | MCU on Eclipse and updated the board's firmware and reconfigured the jumpers (not sure if it matters), and voila, it worked!

Thanks,

Dao.

0 Kudos

williamvar
Contributor I

I don't see an attachment...

0 Kudos

Lukas_Heczko
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi guys,

seems like the document was lost during forum transition. I attached file I believe is the original, missing one.

Best regards,

Lukas

dbarton
Contributor I

I downloaded the PDF, but CodeWarrrior has changed so much that the steps don't make sense anymore.

I'm not able to follow.

Even where we select the processor has changed, so not sure what to select.

Is there a new version or a similar beginner document by chance?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dennis,

Which CodeWarrior version are you using? I assume MCU10.4 as this is the latests.

Not much has been changed from the version in that PDF.

The dialogs in the new project wizard have been slightly changed. Select MK60DN512 as device (Kinetis K Series, K6x Family, K60D (100 MHz Family):

K60.png

Then go through the dialogs, and at the end there is the option to select Processor Expert:

ProcessorExpert.png

The biggest change is that instead of a 'Project Panel' view, the components are in its own 'Component' view:

pastedImage_0.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

dbarton
Contributor I

Yes, that get me past those steps and is great, but then when I try to add and configure a timer, much has changed, and I'm stuck again.  :smileysad:

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dennis,

the easiest way is simply to use the TimerInt component.

If you want to use the TimerUnit_LDD, then have a look at the timer part here which explains the needed settings:

Tutorial: Timer (LED) with Processor Expert for Kinetis | MCU on Eclipse

0 Kudos

alfredogualdron
Contributor III

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos

williamvar
Contributor I

Thank you very much.

I hope to be very useful for my job.

Best regards,

William

0 Kudos

dbarton
Contributor I

I don't see an attachment..

0 Kudos

alfredogualdron
Contributor III

I don't see an attachment..

0 Kudos

StuWallace
Contributor I

Fab tutorial, thanks very much.

Anybody having any issues with SW1? On my board the switch is unresponsive. I've checked the code several times and it matches the tutorial. Sometimes, maybe 1 out of 100, it works but it is very intermittent,

Stu

0 Kudos

jimtrudeau
Senior Contributor I

I have two thoughts. First, ensure that the configuration for that component in Processor Expert matches as well. I suspect you've already done that about ten times, but... you know tech support. "Is it plugged in?"

Far more likely, since you report that randomly it works as expected, it may be a hardware problem with SW1 or the wiring to it. The only way to confirm this would be to have another board to test against. If you really like to beat your head against a wall, you could find some other demo that used SW1 and see if it also behaved randomly. I do not recommend this unless you really enjoy seeking frustration, however.

The good news is that everything else is working, and the point of the tutorial has been achieved. The bad news is, you may have a slightly bum board.

0 Kudos

StuWallace
Contributor I

Thanks for the quick reply,

Tried the "Is it plugged in", it is. :smileyhappy:

Tried it with a second demo and it works just fine there. Used the quick start demo and had no problems.

Totally agree that the tutorial accomplished it's goal and it did so brilliantly.

I'll keep digging around, chances are I missed something I was just wondering if there could be any codewarrior updates or anything that I missed?

Thanks

Stuart

0 Kudos

jimtrudeau
Senior Contributor I

If the switch works fine in another context, it's not hardware. So I'm flummoxed. I reviewed the exercise, and did have a stray thought. We do mess with the priority of one of the tasks, so check that that is set properly. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would cause the switch to work randomly.

If anyone else encounters this, raise a flag.

0 Kudos

intevac_coder
Contributor III

That was one of the nicest, comprehensive tutorials ever.  And the best part was the code compiled!