Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug options to select in S32 Design Studio

Jump to solution
mrajanna
Contributor V

Hi,

I have a simple question, please don't mind.

I could build the project in Fig 1.

When I try to debug, fig 2 screen pops up. Please explain me 3 different options available in fig 2. Also which one should I select for debugging ?  

pastedImage_4.png

Thanks

Mohan

1 Solution
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mohan, 

Basically If you create a new project for e.g. S32K144 there are 3 different build configurations available.

• Debug_Flash
  • Debug_RAM
  • Release

• pastedImage_8.png

Each configuration may use different linker file to place the code into - RAM /Flash

or different build tools setup (no optimization vs. full optimization) - Debug/Release

For more details see:What is the difference between Debug RAM and Debug Flash? 

The output folder (where the executable/binary/object/dependency/make files are placed into) changes based on selected Build Configuration.

e.g. in case  "Debug" build configuration "Debug" sub-folder is created within the project folder.

pastedImage_14.png

Now each build configuration has it's own dedicated debug configuration since each build configuration uses a different output file. The debug configurations can be also differently customized e.g. debug version vs. release one.

Anyway if your active build configuration is "Debug" you should use the debug configuration with the same prefix name e.g. S32K144_project_Debug

pastedImage_11.png

back to your screenshots: The project manager on Figure 1 shows that your active build configuration is "Debug" so you should use "UART_Debug_PNE" in figure 2.

Hope it helps.

Stan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mohan, 

Basically If you create a new project for e.g. S32K144 there are 3 different build configurations available.

• Debug_Flash
  • Debug_RAM
  • Release

• pastedImage_8.png

Each configuration may use different linker file to place the code into - RAM /Flash

or different build tools setup (no optimization vs. full optimization) - Debug/Release

For more details see:What is the difference between Debug RAM and Debug Flash? 

The output folder (where the executable/binary/object/dependency/make files are placed into) changes based on selected Build Configuration.

e.g. in case  "Debug" build configuration "Debug" sub-folder is created within the project folder.

pastedImage_14.png

Now each build configuration has it's own dedicated debug configuration since each build configuration uses a different output file. The debug configurations can be also differently customized e.g. debug version vs. release one.

Anyway if your active build configuration is "Debug" you should use the debug configuration with the same prefix name e.g. S32K144_project_Debug

pastedImage_11.png

back to your screenshots: The project manager on Figure 1 shows that your active build configuration is "Debug" so you should use "UART_Debug_PNE" in figure 2.

Hope it helps.

Stan

mrajanna
Contributor V

Thanks Stan. It helped me.

0 Kudos