What is the difference between Debug RAM and Debug Flash?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Debug RAM and Debug Flash?

sourabhbhuyan
Contributor I

As per my understanding in Debug RAM configuration firmware will be deleted after I power of the controller. And in Debug Flash configuration The firmware flashed will stay even after I power off the controller.

So my question is what are the configuration parameters which are different in Debug RAM and Debug Flash configuration?

Labels (1)
2 Replies

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

the main difference between debug RAM and debug Flash is the location where the program is loaded. The location is determined by linker file. If you check linker file for for flash (file 57xx_flash.ld) and linker file for RAM (57xx_ram.ld) you will see the main difference.

If you choose Debug flash, instructions will be loaded to the flash and data will be loaded to RAM memory. If you choose Debug RAM, all program will be loaded to the RAM memory. This option is created for debug only and it saves your time, because loading the program to the flash is not so fast as the loading to the RAM and it also saves the flash because number of flash reprogramming cycles is limited.

There is also third option called release. This is similar to Debug flash, but generated output file does not contain debug information.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to write me back.

Regards,

Martin

nxf47968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

b55689

There is another configuration -  plain "Debug".

What do that mean? How is it different from the rest?

-Su

0 Kudos