S08 Debug (Pause) No source available for "0xFFFF (0xFFFF)()"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S08 Debug (Pause) No source available for "0xFFFF (0xFFFF)()"

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

I have a bare project that I've started for the MC9S08PA  with the following main.c

#include <hidef.h> /* for EnableInterrupts macro */

#include "derivative.h" /* include peripheral declarations */

void main(void) {

EnableInterrupts;

/* include your code here */

for(;;) {

__RESET_WATCHDOG(); /* feeds the dog */

} /* loop forever */

/* please make sure that you never leave main */

}

I start a debug session and I hit <Pause> and then I see

No source available for "0xFFFF (0xFFFF)() "

I hit <F5>

No source available for "0x7B32 (0x7B32)() "

Then it goes to _RESET_WATCHDOG() and continues normally.

Sometimes it will start here and continue.

0x8032

0x0032

0x0035

0x0038

0x003b

0x003e

0x0040

0x0042

0x0043

and so forth

What is going on when this happens?

Thank you all!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

can you please upload your project, thus we can check the problem direclty here?

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

I have attached a project that shows this behavior.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos

pavel_sadek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

this seems to me as empty project to me, I would check the connections of your BDM

ROM                      =  READ_ONLY    0xF000 TO 0xFF6F;

this is definition of your FLASH space

address 0x7b32 is not defined.

I took your project and as I do not have any PA4, I have changed the connection to simulator, there was a msg that profiler is not available for simulator

Have you done anything with profieler here?

Pavel

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

"this seems to me as empty project to me"  That was the point. If I put in any code I would be told that it was "this or that" and I would like to get to the root cause. This appears to have nothing to do with code.

I know that 0x7b32 is not in the FLASH, neither is 0xFFFF. As far as the profiler, I have not done anything with it.

I have tried a shorter cable. The usb cable I was using was 3m and I replaced it with a 1m and it seems marginally better but I still end up where I was.

0 Kudos

pavel_sadek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

standard BDM cables are just some 30cm long,

I have seen some discussions here in the past stating the length of BDM can cause huge troubles.

1m is still too long

Pavel

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

I am saying USB and you are saying BDM. I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

My BDM cable is the standard cable that comes with the PEmicro Multilink Interface and I believe that to be about 30cm long. (BDM being the cable that is actually transferring the debugging information from the BDM.  A 6 conductor gray flat ribbon cable with a red color indicating the #1 pin)

The USB cable was 3m and I tried a 1m and now I am down to about 10" or 25.5cm of USB cable link. None of this has helped.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos

pavel_sadek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

oh, sorry for my misreading...

Let's return back to your empty project

I do not have any PA4 device here for tests, however the code you provided points to strange entry point and does not have any vectors cured, usually we use traps to catch any idle interrupts even when they are not used actively in the code, especilally as you have interrupts enabled from the template.

I have made different empty project - using default setting of Processor Expert

this way, vectors are filled with dummy ISR causing a reset and entry point is now correct at 0xF004

try to run this code and give me feedback if you still see the misbehavior or not, please

Pavel

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

Firstly, I open Codewarrior and select "Import" from the File menu.

I select, under General, "Existing Projects into Workspace" and click "Next".

Then I browsed to the directory where the code "Gregory_PA4_PE is located and click "Finish".

I compile and I get the following result

DescriptionResourcePathLocationType
mingw32-make: *** No rule to make target `C:/Users/B34196/workspace_10.4_KE02/Gregory_PA4_PE/Project_Headers/../Sources/Events.c', needed by `Sources/Events_c.obj'.Gregory_PA4_PEC/C++ Problem

Nice.

I understand that the ISR could be an issue. I was trying to show that the project created by codewarrior has the issue without any intervention from me.

Now to exclude spurious interrupts I have changed the code to this.

#include <mc9s08pa4.h>

void main(void) {

PORT_PTBOE  = 0x07;

for(;;) {

PORT_PTBD_PTBD1=1;

PORT_PTBD_PTBD1=0;

}

}

I run the code as before. In Debug. Then I try to "Pause" and I get

No source available for "0x0000 (0x0000)() "

The code continues to run as the scope shows that the output is being turned toggled at about 616.5K but I have lost connection with the chip.

This is "VERY" repeatable.

13 - 1.jpg

From what I'm seeing I don't think this is anything I'm doing in software. Is there something wrong with my multilink? Is there something wrong with the chip I'm using?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

Hello again,

Finally had a chance to try this with the TWR-S08PT60 that I just got last week. With the same desktop computer, multilink, and cables I am seeing exactly the same thing. I've tried it on my laptop, which has a different configuration. I loaded the software from the TWR-S08PT60 software and drivers from the disk. The laptop faults out too, in a similar fashion.

Am I expecting too much from this software/hardware?

Is the pause button something that can be used only in certain situations?

I've seen other weirdness in debugging. Is this all related?

Is this a bad PEmicro multilink debugger?

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos

pavel_sadek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

oh, this might be complicated to figure out where the issue is.

You can test the OSBDM populated on TWR board instead of your multilink - this way you exclude also the programmer.

I would reinstall the CW with freshly downloaded one, including update.

if this does not help, please place the service request to Freescale pages

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?code=SUPPORTHOME&tid=FSH

I was not able to reproduce your issue here, so my assumption is that you should succeed with some of steps above.

at least I hope so :smileywink:

Pavel

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

I have an update and a little more information.

I got a TWR-9s08pt60 and have successfully got it debugging through the OSBDM. While debugging code that just initializes the clock, I was able to capture what is going on.  Please take a look at the image I have attached.

Thanks for all the help!

ExitingSubroutine.png

0 Kudos

zbeehu
Contributor II

我遇到和你同样的问题,就是经常出现

No source available for "0xFFFF (0xFFFF)()"

一直没解决,以前我用的是MC9S08SC4,编译器是CW6.3,就没遇到过这个问题

后来用了MC9S08PA4,就会出现这个问题,飞思卡尔的FAE来我这看过,不过没解决

0 Kudos

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I would recommend in this issue to start at the basics.

First, check if the reset vector at 0xFFFE/0xFFFE are reasonably programmed. Say point into the startup handler (and are not just 0xFF,0xFF).

Then reset the device and assembly step. Should be at the startup handler, and you should be able to see where the core leaves the expected path.

Make sure the code executed corresponds to the code to be flashed.

Note that the default setup for the debugger launch is to set a breakpoint at main and to resume the target. That's a nice behavior if the core reaches main....

But if something badly went wrong, say the app is not properly flashed, then I'm not surprised you see some strange code being executed when randomly stopping.

Daniel

0 Kudos

gregoryberardi
Contributor II

Hello Guru,

I verified that the startup code was being executed. I also verified that 0xFFFF/0xFFFE is pointing to the beginning of startup. Please take a look at the image I posted and let me know what you think.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos