Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

officially supported kernel version for imx6

Jump to solution
michaelb_
Contributor III

Hello

I'd like to hear what kernel versions are currently officially fully supported by Freescale?

Background: I am having a device from VIA Embedded Technologies (nice device), but they only provide a kernel 3.0.35, stating this is the official freescale supported kernel. On this forum, however, I read frequently the recommendation from freescale staff to move to 3.10.17, if possible.

So, what is the official stand currently? Is 3.0.35 fully supported for imx6? Will it continue to receive bug fixes in the same amount as 3.10.17?

If there were an official statement that 3.0.35 is EOL or going to be EOL soon, that would be important to convince VIA Technologies to provide a current 3.10.17 kernel.

Labels (3)
1 Solution
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Michael,

Officially Freescale has the commit to provide support once the BSP it is release in our Web page that I provide for  one year.  This means that for Linux BSP 3.035 , was release on : 9/5/2013 . We are still suporting both BSP. but for a new design I strongly suggest that you begin with  Linux 3.10.17

Hope this clarifies.

Have a great day,
Jaime

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Michael,

Maybe the confusion is because we just release the Linux Kernel 3.10.17 officially this week, so just last week the official was 3.0.35  and we were migrating all our customers to the latest one that would be supported in this case 3.10.17. so making a clear statement at the moment 3.10.17 it is our latest Linux Kernel for the i.MX6 Processors.

To avoid any confusions you can always look for the official BSP at the following web page:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=LEIMX&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Have a great day,
Jaime

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
michaelb_
Contributor III

Hello James

Thanks for your answer.

I need an official (I guess you count as being official) answer, as to whether Freescale will support and provide the current 3.0.35 kernel with bug fixes equally well as the new 3.10.17. That is:

• Will all reported bugs be fixed in 3.0.35, even if that often requires backporting fixes from 3.10.17? There are some posts here from Freescale staff recommending to move to 3.10.17 to fix bugs.
  • How long will 3.0.35 be maintained in this way? Is there an EOL planned?

Honestly, if Freescale focuses development on 3.10.17, I would like to have a statement on that, e.g. "our main development and bug fixing effort will lie on 3.10.17". If there is an official EOL of 3.0.35 planned for imx6, that would also be good to know.

As I said, a clear statement such as above would help convincing VIA Technologies in providing a current 3.10.17 kernel for their recent Amos-820 product (which is a good product in my opinion, but with a very old and buggy kernel).

0 Kudos
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Michael,

Officially Freescale has the commit to provide support once the BSP it is release in our Web page that I provide for  one year.  This means that for Linux BSP 3.035 , was release on : 9/5/2013 . We are still suporting both BSP. but for a new design I strongly suggest that you begin with  Linux 3.10.17

Hope this clarifies.

Have a great day,
Jaime

0 Kudos
michaelb_
Contributor III

Hi James

Thanks for the answer. I definitely would like to start the new design with a 3.10.17 kernel. The problem is that I do not have a 3.10.17 based BSP for this device, as VIA Technologies only provide a pretty old 3.0.35 kernel based on your 4.1.0 BSP, even without any further patches that other 3.0.35 kernel have got during the last 9 months. So, I am experiencing lots of problems, some of which we could solve with porting some patches from other vendors.

I am in contact with my local VIA representative, who told me that he fully supports our need for a recent kernel, but so far VIA Technologies Head Quarters are not understanding the need for a 3.10.17 based kernel.

Your official statement could help moving something inside VIA. Based on your last comment, it is clear that the official EOL of Freescale 3.0.35 support is on 9/5/2014, so, in about three months time. If VIA Technologies would thus like to sell their imx6 based products any longer they should get their work started to bring out a 3.10.17 based BSP layer for their offerings.

Btw. the Amos-820 is really a nice offering from a hardware side of view.