cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6ULL RAM Selection

mahmoud_tolba
Contributor I

Hello..

I am working on a new project with i.MX6ULL and I need to choose a suitable RAM.

I don't have a previous experience with processor board design.

In my design I need a 512MB RAM.

I was searching for a reference so I checked the evaluation kit provided by NXP MCIMX6ULL-EVK, and I found that they used this chip MT41K256M16TW-107:P

I checked its specs and I found that:

Memory Format : DRAM
Memory Technology : DDR3L
Memory Size : 4Gb (256M x 16)
Clock Frequency : 933MHz
Access Time : 20ns
Voltage Supply : 1.283 V ~ 1.45 V

Then, I checked the datasheet of the i.MX6ULL and I found that it supports these type of external memory (16-bit LP-DDR2-800, 16-bit DDR3-800 and DDR3L-800)

Is 800 represents the clock frequency of the RAM? if yes, why they used a 933MHz RAM in the evaluation kit?

I searched Digikey for a suitable RAM for my project (according to my understanding) and I found this one AS4C32M16D3-12BIN and I want to make sure that I didn't miss any details.

My RAM specs are : 
Memory Format : DRAM
Memory Technology : DDR3
Memory Size : 512MB (32M x 16)
Memory Interface : Parallel
Clock Frequency : 800MHz
Access Time : 20ns
Voltage Supply : 1.425 V ~ 1.575 V
Operating Temperature : -40°C ~ 95°C 

Waiting for your valuable comments

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day ahead.

Best regards,
Mahmoud

0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mahmoud

memory allowable voltages can be found in Table 10. Operating Ranges i.MX6ULL Datasheet
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX6ULLCEC.pdf

Supported memory row&columns numbers are described in

sect.35.12.1 MMDC Core Control Register (MMDC_MDCTL) i.MX6ULL Reference Manual 

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6ULLRM.pdf 

Higher frequency memory also may be used, however i.MX6ULL will work at its frequency 400MHz

as described in sect.4.10.2 MMDC supported DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2 configurations Datasheet.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos