UUU to write the .img image which is generated from SD card into emmc on imx8m plus SOM board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UUU to write the .img image which is generated from SD card into emmc on imx8m plus SOM board

Mohan_SK
Contributor I

We have a Linux image (.img format) created from the SD card. It has two images .img1 for bootfs and .img2 for rootfs. I want to right this into emmc directly instead from SD card. So, I thought to use the uuu tool and I could not find any suitable document or information on how to do so. All the info's are using .bin bootloader and .sdcard root formats. However, when I tried to run the following command "uuu.exe -b emmc_all image-name.img" , It throws an error saying it could not find .sdcard file. Any help on this to get it working will be highly appreciated

0 Kudos
7 Replies

nxf63675
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Mohan_SK,

Which version of our BSP are you using? Usually, for our boards, we use prebuilt images, or if you are trying to do it for a custom one you can build a custom image on Linux using Yocto, more info could be found on the next link https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

As telling you this because I do not know how to convert the .img to the formats that UUU support, so my recommendation is build a new image for your board using Yocto.

Regards,

Israel.

0 Kudos

nxf63675
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Mohan_SK,

Already answer you on your internal ticket, if you need more support on this please let me know.

Regards,

Israel,

0 Kudos

Mohan_SK
Contributor I

Thanks for the info Israel,

I don't have the image format you mentioned. This custom image is created from an SD card using win32_Disk_Image tools and in the below screenshot, we can see the image and its sub image partitions.

.img1 -> bootfs

.img2 -> rootfs 

Mohan_SK_3-1630047999411.png

I am not sure if I can convert from .img to .sdcard or .bin

-Mohan

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you don't mind a very ugly workaround, here you can try. 

dd if=custom.12.7.img of=flash.dump.bin skip=32 bs=1k count=4096

1. uuu -v SDPS: boot -f flash.dump.bin
you will get an error, but igore it. It is because, the bootloard dump from sdcard mirror, the size mismatch the size information in the boot header.

2. uuu -v -b emmc_all flash.dump.bin custom.12.7.img

Here is test screenshot for i.MX8MP EVK binary demo image.

imx-image-multimedia-imx8mpevk.wic is the sdcard mirror. Just like custom.12.7.img

dd if=imx-image-multimedia-imx8mpevk.wic of=flash.dump.bin skip=32 bs=1k count=4096
uuu -v SDPS: boot -f flash.dump.bin
uuu -v -b emmc_all flash.dump.bin imx-image-multimedia-imx8mpevk.wic

Untitled1.pngUntitled2.png

0 Kudos

Mohan_SK
Contributor I

Hi Isreal,

Appreciate your support. I tried out the workaround and I could write into the emmc now. But the device is not yet booting. Below is the snapshot of the serial console for your reference.

Mohan_SK_0-1631104168580.png

The boot switch is set to boot from emmc and uboot setenv variables are also set. Let me know if I am missing something

-Mohan

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Please make sure you use the command to do flash. 

uuu -v -b emmc_all flash.dump.bin custom.12.7.img

2. use the u-boot command to check 

mmc info

mmc list

ext4ls mmc ${mmcdev}:${mmcpart}

ext4ls mmc 0:1

ext4ls mmc 1:1

ext4ls mmc 2:1

0 Kudos

nxf63675
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mohan,

Is unfortunate to say that we do not support that tool as we do not support I can not help you with that, sorry for the problems this causes you, as I mention before you need to compile a custom image using the tools that we can help you with.

Regards,

Israel.

0 Kudos