Trouble debugging with Qt Creator and MCIMX6Q-SDP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble debugging with Qt Creator and MCIMX6Q-SDP

kriszawada
Contributor III

I followed instruction posted here (Re: Setup QT Creator with Yocto Build ) to setup development environment and Qt Creator.

I have both the development PC (Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS) and the MCIMX6Q-SDP on the same Ethernet network where both can ping each other.  I configured the device and the test pass for it with out a problem (Please see attachment: QtCreator_Device_Test_Pass.png).

When I create a simple console application in Qt Creator, build it, and the try to debug it fails to launch the debug session.  The indication shows "Launching Debugger":

Debugging starts

Listening to port 10000

Debugging has failed

Debugging has finished

Please see attachment for screenshot (QtCreator_ConsoleApplication_DebugError.png).

How do I determine what is wrong this this?  Why is it not able to run the application debugging on the target?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

kriszawada
Contributor III

Struggle a bit more with this because I was trying to figure out how to get more debug information from QT Creator and GDB.  To get more information the output has to be viewable and to do this from Qt Creator select from the menu bar Window->Views->Debugger Log.

This opened up quite a lot more information as shown in the attachment (QtCreator_DebuggerLog.png).  The full log details are attached as QtCreator_DebuggerLog_LeftPane.txt and QtCreator_DebuggerLog_RightPane.txt.

To summarize the log there is an error that indicates the following:

>&"Traceback (most recent call last):\n"
>&"  File \"<string>\", line 1, in <module>\n"
>&"  File \"/home/kris/qtcreator-3.4.2/share/qtcreator/debugger/gdbbridge.py\", line 20, in <module>\n"
>&"    from dumper import *\n"
>&"  File \"/home/kris/qtcreator-3.4.2/share/qtcreator/debugger/dumper.py\", line 37, in <module>\n"
>&"    import importlib\n"
>&"ImportError: No module named importlib\n"
>&"Error while executing Python code.\n"
>33^error,msg="Error while executing Python code."

>&"Traceback (most recent call last):\n"
>&"  File \"<string>\", line 1, in <module>\n"
>&"NameError: name 'theDumper' is not defined\n"
>&"Error while executing Python code.\n"
>34^error,msg="Error while executing Python code."

The Ubuntu development machine that I am using has the following python version:

$ python --version

Python 2.7.6

A quick search for this error indicates that it is either a Python version problem (<=2.7) or GDB needs to be rebuilt with '--with-python' option (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30661671/qt-creator-failed-to-start-debugger ).  Since my version of Python is 2.7.6 I am assuming that I need to follow the second option.

Has anyone ran into this issue?  Where in the Yocto build configuration does '--with-python' need to be used?

0 Kudos

kriszawada
Contributor III

First, I had to resolve 2 issues:

1) The built application was not getting deployed to the target because I did not have a path set so that Qt Creator knew where to put it on the target.  I needed to go to my application specific project file and add to the *.pro file (project setting file, in this case "TestConsole.pro") the following:

target.path = /home/root

INSTALLS += target

This caused the application to be deployed to the target into directory '/home/root'.

2) The second issue that I noticed was that when I would run the binary on the target board I would get an error with finding Qt libraries as shown below.

./TestConsole: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5Core.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

To resolve this I needed a SD card image that contained all the Qt libraries in /usr/lib directory.  To do this I needed to update '/home/kris/fsl-release-bsp/build-x11/conf/local.conf' by adding the following line of text:

IMAGE_INSTALL_apped=" qtbase qtbase-tools qtbase-plugins"

I re-ran bitbake and got an update SD card image which I programmed the SD card with.  Now the image included all the Qt libraries needed for running my application.

0 Kudos