Parallel RGB Displays

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel RGB Displays

rajniks
Contributor I

On IMX6 processors how are IPU DATA lines assigned to Red, Blue and Green color lines. I can't seem to find out from reference manual and other documents. I also need to know how should I provide the connections so that both 18bit as well as 24 bit parallel RGB displays can be interfaced.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Display (color bit mapping is software configurable. When configuring display output pins,

the following should be taken into account.

General scheme is shown on Figure 37-32 (Mapping scheme) of the i.MX6DQRM.

From Table 37-25 (DC template's fields description) :

«The MAPPING field holds a pointer to a register holding 3 fields: MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE0_X,

MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE1_X, MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE2_X. This pointers point to sets of OFFSET and

MASK parameters that define the mapping scheme. MAPPING =0 means that mapping is disabled.»

Section 37.4.7.5.1 (Bus Mapping Unit) describes the mapping feature in more details.

On the Figure 37-32 (Mapping scheme), microcode field MAPPING = 2.

That is, register IPUx_DC_MAP_CONF_1 should be used for configuring; please refer to section 37.5.336

[DC Mapping Configuration Register 1 (IPUx_DC_MAP_CONF_1)] of the Reference Manual.

As an example let we set :

MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE2_2 = 2

MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE1_2 = 1

MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE0_2 = 0

then

IPUx_DC_MAP_CONF_15 register should be set as following :

(section 37.5.350 DC Mapping Configuration Register 15 (IPUx_DC_MAP_CONF_15))

MD_OFFSET_1 = 0x0D ; MD_MASK_1 = 0xFC

MD_OFFSET_0 = 0x05 ; MD_MASK_0 = 0xFC

IPUx_DC_MAP_CONF_16 :

MD_OFFSET_2 = 0x16 ; MD_MASK_2 = 0xFC

Please refer to  Chapter 18 (Configuring the IPU Driver) of "iMX6_Firmware_Guide.pdf" in the Platform SDK.

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=i.MX6_PLATFORM_SDK&location=null

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Please use i.MX6 Datasheet(s) to define typical IPU display output formats.

For example please take a look at section 4.11.10.4 (IPU Display Interface

Signal Mapping) of IMX6SDLCEC (Rev. 2.1, 05/2013).

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

shefft
Contributor IV

Hi Yuri,

i'm a little confused by this.  The SDK uses a MAPPING=2 as in your example in the post here

microcode.mapping = 2;//select map conf 2

in ipu_dc.c

but then they use either MAPPING_PNTR_BYTEX_0 or MAPPING_PNTR_BYTEX_1 (depending on another value, which I don't understand the source of) which are both in IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0 and not IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_1 as you indicate.

ipu_write_field(ipu_index, IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0__MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE2_0, 2);

ipu_write_field(ipu_index, IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0__MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE1_0, 1);

ipu_write_field(ipu_index, IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0__MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE0_0, 0);

or

ipu_write_field(ipu_index, IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0__MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE2_1, 6);
ipu_write_field(ipu_index, IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0__MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE1_1, 5);
ipu_write_field(ipu_index, IPU_DC_MAP_CONF_0__MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE0_1, 4);

To add to the confusion, the reference manual seems contradictory:

"The MAPPING field holds a pointer to a register holding 3 fields: MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE0_X,

MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE1_X, MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE2_X.

This pointers point to sets of OFFSET and MASK parameters that define the mapping scheme. MAPPING =

0 means that mapping is disabled.

The value in this field should be incremented by 1 to get the correct X pointer value

In order to point to MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE2_0, MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE1_0, MAPPING_PNTR_BYTE0_0

the user should write 1 to the MAPPING field"

Incrementing 1 gives me 2, not 0.

So which is it?  If the MAPPING=2, is it pointing to MAPPING_PNTR_BYTEX_3, MAPPING_PNTR_BYTEX_2, MAPPING_PNTR_BYTEX_1, or MAPPING_PNTR_BYTEX_0?

BTW, I'm on an i.mx6SDL

0 Kudos

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can reference to attached sample code.

DC MAPPING=2 (Mapping pointer #1 in reference manul) is fixed in PNTR_BYTE0_1, PNTR_BYTE1_1, PNTR_BYTE2_1. But MD_OFFSET_<i> and MD_MASK_<i> can be any of the valid value.

For Mapping pointer #1, the value setting in microcode_config should be 2 " incremented by 1".

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The SDK test codes for IPU look as contradicting to the Reference Manual,

in the same time, I tried to run the SDK IPU test  - it is working.  Hope Qiang_FSL
helps to clarify the issue.

~Yuri

0 Kudos

rajniks
Contributor I

Thanks Yuri for the detailed explanation. Many times you get lost in the huge reference manual of IMX6. I found IPU Display Interface Signal Mapping (4.11.10.4) in the datasheet of IMX6DQ like the  one you had shared for . I will use the same as given in the table for 18 bit RGB as well 24 bit RGB. 

0 Kudos