Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to login as root user with the RFS generated

Jump to solution
vivsundar
Contributor III

I am using a imx6 based custom board 
Made the build system ready using the following guide: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX_YOCTO_PROJECT_USERS_GUIDE.pdf

After cloning the yocto source, initialized the build with: DISTRO=fsl-imx-fb MACHINE=imx6dlsabresd source imx-setup-release.sh -b build_imx

Then started the build using: bitbake -k core-image-minimal.

The core-image-minimal-xxxx-xxx.tar is generated.  But when the board is booted with this RFS image, it did not accept any password for the root user.

I checked the local.conf. It has:
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES ?= "debug-tweaks"
Yet it did not accept a blank password or any other password.

I had a look at /etc/shadow file.  The root user's password field is empty. 
I tried to change the password manually in /etc/shadow file, but it did not work out.

Added the following line in local.conf
INHERIT += "extrausers"
EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "usermod -p '\$6\$rYOC7GCfUdPrKZdt\$GbxrFaYxl0Wdk9ZyuR/HarDrChctvbHQqdmdtGS.dxCq0FUxLVdxgvdBCoofs4NLcc/0GZ3pbMcrNeT3KwCFk/' root;"
I can see that when i add this line the /etc/shadow file is updated with the password hash.  But that too did not work.

Can any one point out what should i do to fix the login issue.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
vivsundar
Contributor III

the root cause of the issue is:

1. sysvinit version that comes with the RFS image: Sysvinit version 3.01 does not allow root login through NFS boot. But sysvinit version 2.88 works fine with the existing NFS boot settings.

2. So I started working on the nfsboot parameters, and found that two new nfs parameters had to be added: no_root_squash,insecure

image-20230119-044725.png
The screen shot shows the nfs server side parameters.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vivsundar
Contributor III

the root cause of the issue is:

1. sysvinit version that comes with the RFS image: Sysvinit version 3.01 does not allow root login through NFS boot. But sysvinit version 2.88 works fine with the existing NFS boot settings.

2. So I started working on the nfsboot parameters, and found that two new nfs parameters had to be added: no_root_squash,insecure

image-20230119-044725.png
The screen shot shows the nfs server side parameters.
0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

did you find wic image in your images file? after you flash this image to the board, the password is "root", pls try this, if I misunderstand your question, pls tell me

0 Kudos
vivsundar
Contributor III

Hi 

Thanks for the reply,

I am booting the board through NFS.  So what I did is that I mounted the partition in core-image-minimal-xxxx-xxx.wic through:

1) losetup -o 33554432 /dev/loop1 core-image-minimal-imx6dlsabresd-20230110062552.rootfs.wic

2) mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/ 

3) copied the contents of the /mnt/ folder to my NFS folder.  After booting my board and tried to login I see the "Login incorrect" message for user: root and password: root.

Note: I have changed the default systemd to sysvinit in "meta-imx/meta-sdk/conf/distro/include/fsl-imx-preferred-env.inc"  will that cause any problems?

0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1) refer to the link https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/classes.html#extrausers-bbclass

2)remove debug-weaks in the local.conf

This is a reference local.conf change; where the debug-tweaks has been deleted and line 30-35 showing how to set root password and add user named as user1; which has sudo capability.

MACHINE ??= 'imx6ulevk'
DISTRO ?= 'fsl-imx-fb'
PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm"
USER_CLASSES ?= "buildstats image-mklibs image-prelink"
PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"
BB_DISKMON_DIRS ??= "\
    STOPTASKS,${TMPDIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,${DL_DIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,${SSTATE_DIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,/tmp,100M,100K \
    ABORT,${TMPDIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,${DL_DIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,${SSTATE_DIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,/tmp,10M,1K"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"
CONF_VERSION = "1"

DL_DIR ?= "/home/nxa15297/mydata/aosp/YoctoDN-4.9/downloads"
ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = "1"

BOOT_SPACE = "65536"
IMAGE_OVERHEAD_FACTOR = "1.5"

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " cryptsetup cryptodev-module cryptodev-tests openssh dhcp-client dhcp-server connman"
TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append = " nativesdk-python nativesdk-python-pycrypto"

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " sudo"

INHERIT += " extrausers"
EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
 usermod -P 1876*18 root;\
 useradd -P 2015*08 user1;\
 usermod -a -G sudo user1;\
 "‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

refer to the document

"https://community.nxp.com/t5/iMX-and-Vybrid-Support/i-MX6UL-Yocto-Rootfs-how-to-add-user-and-enable-..."

if you couldn't access it, pls refer to:

To set up proper sudo access for use1, bootup the system and login as root using the above root password. Then using visudo to modify the following line as:

## Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to execute any command                   
%sudo  ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL ‍‍‍‍

0 Kudos