We are planning to use iMX8 M Quad for our product but have few questions regarding its video capabilities -
1. Can we use vpu for 4k60 Encoder? what is the maximum limit of VPU for Encoding
2. Can we use vpu for 4k60 Decoder? what is the maximum limit of VPU for Decoding
3. Can we use jpeg2000 with iMX8M Quad?
1)i.mx8mq doesn't have HW encoder, only SW, testing by x264:
the x264enc 1080p encoder framerate = 30fps * 10s / 43.4s = 6.91 fps
CPU loading: 345%
2)for decoder by VPU:
4Kp60 with High Dynamic Range(h.265, VP9);
3) imx8mq decoder supports Mjpeg
for other more detailed information, pls refer to my test document:
Thanks for your reply.
It cleared some of my doubts. But still, I have few doubts please help me to solve that.
1. Is iMX8M Plus have VCU800e VPU?
2. can it do jpeg 4k60 encoding?
3. I am planning to use iMX8m Plus Board for SW Encoding at 4K 60fps and planning to try JPEG and technique. so is there any way I can utilize the VPU of iMX8m plus or it's not possible?
4. Is there any steps or doc or anything is available for 4k60 encoding on imx8m plus?
5. do you have any idea what compression ratio we can achieve on iMX8m plus for JPEG encoding?
Any suggestion or reply will be very helpful.
firstly, I suggest that you can refer to the reference manual and linux or android release note, which have more detailed information
1) imx8mp use VC8000E not VCU800E
2) I don't know which soc you mean, pls refer to the linux release note
3) SW encoding depends on CPU usage, for HW encoding of imx8mp, which supports 1080p60 AVC/H.264 encoder and 1080p60 HEVC/H.265 encoder
4) 8mp doesn't have good performance on 4k
4)i.MX 8M Plus Encoder: 1080p60 HEVC, H.264
i.MX 8M Plus Decoder : 1080p60 HEVC, H.264, VP9, VP8
doesn't have jpeg including
Thanks for your reply.
I have few more doubts please help me to solve that -
Also, on Hantro website => https://www.verisilicon.com/en/IPPortfolio/HantroVC8000E
it is mentioned that =>
Hantro VC8000E allows 4K encoding with a minimal silicon single-core solution that supports HEVC and H.264 video formats. HEVC / H264 multi-core solutions can also be used, which can reach 8K@30fps (dual-core).
so why it is not supported on the iMX8 processor? because iMX uses the same VPU.
Please suggest how can I achieve 4k60 encoding with an iMX8 processor?
Are there any reference documents or anything you can provide so that I can try to do 4k60 encoding?
as I mentioned before, doesn't suggest imx8mp to encode 4k video, because of bad performance, yes the HW can support it, but SW ctrl couldn't handle this, you can test by yourself if you have imx8mp board, even you change the SW to support 4k video, the performance isn't good enough, and refer to the RM, only support 1080p@60 max, how could it support 4k@60