cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8M-Plus Hantro 4K Encoder

jgsandom
Contributor III

Hi all,

From looking at the IMX8M-Plus documentation, it's stated that the VPU encoder supports up to 1080p60. It seems as though the Hantro VC8000E encoder is being used, which states support for 4K encoding.

Does anyone know why the IMX8M-Plus doesn't support 4K encoding? or does the hardware support it but not the software yet? is it planned for a future release?

Any clarification would be helpful!

Thank you.

@joanxie

0 Kudos
8 Replies

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

refer to the release note of yocto bsp, vpu can support only 1080p@60 for imx8mp, and I tested on the imx8mp too, couldn't encoding 4K video

joanxie_0-1622085079427.png

0 Kudos

jgsandom
Contributor III

Hi @joanxie,

Thanks for the response. 

I'm aware of this and I have 1080p encoding working fine. My question is why doesn't the IMX8M-Plus support 4k encoding when the actual Hantro VC8000E encoder supports it?

Seems that the hardware is capable at least. Any ideas?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

should be the HW limitation since you use VPU as encoder

0 Kudos

jgsandom
Contributor III

Can you please clarify on your response?

Yes, the VPU is being used as an encoder and the encoder is Hantro VC8000E, correct? this has capabilities of 4K, yet the IMX8M-Plus can do up to 1080p. Why is it that the IMX8M-Plus is unable to utilise the full capabilities of the Hantro encoder? Can you clarify what the limitation is?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

information from expert team that this is software control limitation and they don't suggest customer to use 4k, even they can use this, the performance is very bad

0 Kudos

jgsandom
Contributor III

Thanks @joanxie . Is it possible to provide the patch from the expert team, so I can try it out and assess the performance?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

sorry, don't have such patch, just on theory

0 Kudos

artsiomstaliaro
Contributor IV

Dear @joanxie ,

this limitation is VPU firmware or I can try to remove the limitation in the GStreamer plugin and I should be able to encode 4K? Right?

0 Kudos