IMX6Q: Gigabit network problems (problems with 1000 mbps)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6Q: Gigabit network problems (problems with 1000 mbps)

pj0585
Contributor III

Hi All,

On my custom hardware board (design based on sabresd) I'm using linux 3.0.35_4.0.0 kernel release.

I'm experiencing network problems:

- ssh connection breaks / freezes

- The board does not get ip (very frequent)

My custom hardware uses Micrel's Gigabit Ethernet PHY KSZ9021RNI.

I'm using Cat 5E network cables (these support 1000 mbps speeds).

When I connect to a 100 mbit network switch so that the network link speed is 100 mbps, everything is fine. Network is stable, NEVER breaks. ALWAYS gets the ip.

I'm not able to figure out what is wrong. My suspicion is that imx6 cannot work on a gigabit network.

My application demands faster network speeds and I need to fix the problem. So I need to know the exact problem. Has anyone experienced similar issues ?

(I'm aware of the gigabit speed limitation of 470 mbps mentioned in the imx6Q errata. The errata says that the processor should work fine on a gigabit network with reduced throughput but I'm not sure how true is that statement. )

Can anyone provide any inputs on this topic ?

Thanks in advance!,

-Pj

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Prasant

Had your issue got resolved? If yes, we are going to close the discussion in 3 days. If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos

pj0585
Contributor III

Hello all,

Thanks for the response!

I was away from my desk and could not look into your suggestions. The issue is still open for me.

Please close this discussion for the time being as I'm unable to look into this issue at the moment. Once I have an update I will reply back.

-Pj

0 Kudos

Oceanblue
Contributor III

Hello PJ,

Have you solved your Giga bit Ethernet issue?  we have found the similar issue, the Giga Ethernet is working fine at 10/100M environment, but can't work on gigabit network. If you have solved it, please share your experience, thanks in advance !

JK

0 Kudos

pj0585
Contributor III

Hello,

I have not been able to resolve this issue yet. My iMX6 works at 10/100 M network. It does not work at Gigabit network.

Which PHY are you using?

-Pj

0 Kudos

gueonyong-jin
Contributor I

My solution is to reset the PHY chipset.

0 Kudos

gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have a few questions. 

Have you checked the strapping options for the PHY? Are they correct ?

We have gigabit speeds with other PHYs, and if properly set up, this PHY should be no different.

Where we have seen problems has to do with MDIO and RGMII settings.

Cheers,

Glen Fine

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support
Re: IMX6Q: Gigabit network problems (problems with 1000 mbps)

Glen FineEmployee

I have a few questions.

Have any OS patches been applied? If so, which ones?

Are the proper HW pulldowns utilized?

Cheers,

Glen

0 Kudos