First instruction in normal mode gives an external abort.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First instruction in normal mode gives an external abort.

Jump to solution
billpringlemeir
Contributor V

The first instruction I ever execute on the Vybrid tower Cortex-A5 in normal world with external aborts trapping to monitor gives a fault.  I looked at a CP15 register and I believe that the 'External Abort' was clear on boot, but the first instruction I execute gives an external abort.  I read the Cortex-A5 TRM and have the following initialization code of the normal world CP15,

@ Clear fault registers.
mov r1, #0
mcr p15, 0, r1, c6, c0, 0   @ dfar
mcr p15, 0, r1, c5, c0, 0   @ dfsr
mcr p15, 0, r1, c6, c0, 2   @ ifar
mcr p15, 0, r1, c5, c0, 1   @ ifsr
mcr p15, 2, r1, c0, c0, 0   @ csselr (cache size select)
mcr      p15, 0, r1, c12, c0, 0  @ VBAR
mcr p15, 0, r1, c2, c0, 0   @ TTBR0
mcr p15, 0, r1, c2, c0, 1   @ TTBR1
mcr p15, 0, r1, c2, c0, 2   @ TTBCR (ttb control)
mcr p15, 0, r1, c13, c0, 1  @ CONTEXTIDR
movw r1, #0x5555
movt r1, #0x5555
mcr p15, 0, r1, c3, c0, 0   @ NS-DACR set to all access.

@ Zero non-reserved bits in SCTLR, system control register.
mrc p15, 0, r1, c1, c0, 0 @ Read Control Register configuration data
bic r1, r1, #(7<<28)|(1<<25) @ TE, AFE, TRE, EE
bic r1, r1, #(3<<12)|(1<<10) @ V, I, SW
bic r1, r1, #7    @ C, A, M
mcr p15, 0, r1, c1, c0, 0 @ Write Control Register configuration data

@@ Cortex-A Series programmers guide pg15.-3, example 15-3...

@ Invalidate L1 Caches (normal world)
@ Invalidate Instruction cache
mov r1, #0
mcr p15, 0, r1, c7, c5, 0

@ Invalidate Data cache
@ to make the code general purpose, we calculate the
@ cache size first and loop through each set + way

mrc p15, 1, r0, c0, c0, 0 @ Read Cache Size ID

ldr r3, =0x1ff

and r0, r3, r0, lsr #13   @ r0 = no. of sets - 1

mov r1, #0     @ r1 = way counter way_loop
2:    mov r3, #0     @ way_loop
1:    mov r2, r1, lsl #30 @ r3 = set counter set_loop
    orr r2, r2, r3, lsl #5 @ r2 = set-way cache operation format

mcr p15, 0, r2, c7, c6, 2 @ Invalidate line described by r2

add r3, r3, #1 @ Increment set counter
    cmp r0, r3     @ Last set reached yet?
    bne 1b         @ if not, iterate set_loop
    add r1, r1, #1 @ else, next
    cmp r1, #4     @ Last way reached yet?
    bne 2b         @ if not, iterate way_loop

@ Invalidate TLB

mcr p15, 0, r1, c8, c7, 0

isb

@ Branch Prediction invalidate

mcr p15, 0, r1, c7, c5, 6

Are there other CP15 registers that may cause the ExtAbt?  I have no clue as to what peripheral may cause this as the 'FSR/FAR' are all none relevant.  I only look at the PC (dabt lr) and it give the first instruction +8.  The exception mode is at monitor mode 10h or data abort.  It seems to happen whether it is OCRAM or DDR3.  I am guessing that it is due to the CP15 environment of the first instruction to execute.  The initial monitor code to secure switch is,

/* The 'System control register' or SCR in CP15 c1, c1, 0

configures TrustZone; monitor mode and 'normal' capabilities.

*/

/* Set 'A' (external abort) flag from 'normal' mode. */

#define SCR_AW  (1<<5)

/* Mask FIQ/secure interrupts from 'normal' mode. */

#define SCR_FW  (1<<4)

/* Branch to monitor on external abort. */

#define SCR_EA  (1<<3)

/* Branch to monitor on FIQ. */

#define SCR_FIQ (1<<2)

/* Branch to monitor on IRQ. */

#define SCR_IRQ (1<<1)

/* 1 is non-secure/normal and 0 is secure! */

#define SCR_NS  (1<<0)

/* Switch to non-secure world, route FIQ to monitor,
no alignment traps. */
mov    r1, #(SCR_XX|SCR_FIQ|SCR_NS)
mcr    p15, 0, r1, c1, c1, 0
isb

/* load gen-regs */
msr spsr_fsxc, lr
ldm    sp, {r0 - r12, pc}^

This is executing in monitor mode.  After the initial 'external abort' the secure world to normal world switching is fine without any abort exceptions.  SCR_XX is to trap external aborts to the monitor (SCR_EA); after the initial fault I use the SCR_AW flag as there are no more (spurious?) external aborts.  Is there any way to know if it is a Freescale IP which causes the ExtAbt vs. a Cortex-A5 internal (Freescale vs ARM CPU issue)?  I read the L2 cache document and nothing jumped out.  Initially, the caches are off when the normal world executes, but I guess data may pass through the caches and some access check happens?  Dumping the L2 registers didn't seem to show anything significant.  The 'TZASC' fuse is off and not configured (although defaults indicate all access).  I can only start the normal world from TZASC peripherals?

Labels (2)
1 Solution
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!
0 Kudos
VilemZ
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bill,

Do you using anysample code?

And have you got handle all exceptions?

Best regards

Vilem

0 Kudos
billpringlemeir
Contributor V

Attached is an MQX project that is a test case.  There are several source files,

• monitor.c - an MQX application with 'shell' support.
  • Monitor.S - a monitor handling file.
  • uart.S - some PC relative code that prints to the UART.

In the 'Monitor.S' there are a few '@' lines.

@orr r1, r1, #0x100 @ mask aborts WJP: disable for now.

Enable this and the ISR will be set as the monitor will never take an abort.

b    monitor_exit
      @ subs pc,lr,#8 

If you enable the 'subs pc,lr,#8' and disable the 'b monitor_exit', then the uart.S hello_poll() will run to completion.  When it is not set, the dabt_lr is set to the first instruction + 8.

The attached project compiles with MQX 4.1 with the gcc tools and a Linux host.  I run the command with 'tftp 0x3f000000 monitor.bin; go 0x3f000000' on a Tower board.

Run the shell command 'test' to start the monitor.  Then call 'yield' to let the normal world run.  You can also change the 'Dead' tasks priority.  With the stock MQX, I need to keep interrupts masked.

The code in 'uart.S' is completely PIC and you can change the line,

+   monitor_run(0, (void (*)(void))hello_poll);
-   monitor_run(0, (void (*)(void))COPY_ADDR);

The code in the normal world then executes from OCRAM; but everything seems the same.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you help to review this case?

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

reminder

Timesys Support can you help to review this case?

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello karinavalencia and billpringlemeir

Our Vybrid maintainers are reviewing this issue - Bill - can you clarify what Linux kernel you are using? Is this the Timesys Vybrid 3.0 or 3.13 kernel?

Thank you,

Timesys Support

billpringlemeir
Contributor V

Sorry, I was on vacation last week.  I have an SPR open and I have attached a 'bare metal normal world' example using MQX on the A5 (see above).  It doesn't matter what software is running in the normal world.  So Linux is not needed to replicate the issue.  Alejandro is currently trying to replicated the issue in SPR# 1-3667992351.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

billpringlemeir please provide  the information requested.

0 Kudos
billpringlemeir
Contributor V

Are you using any sample code?

I have various set-ups and they are all the same.  The above code would allow a 'bare metal' run the normal world.  I prefer not to post the whole monitor mode code.  However, you need to set MVBAR and handle the 'data abort' exception.  Here is a sample,

ldr r0, =monitor_vector_base
mcr p15, 0, r0, c12, c0, 1   @ write MVBAR.

/****************************/

/* The monitor vector table */

/****************************/

.balign 32

monitor_vector_base:

b    .            /* 00:RESET    */

b    .            /* 04:UNDEF    */

b    mon_swi_entry        /* 08:SWI    */

b    pabort_tz        /* 0C:IABORT    */ /* WJP */

b    dabort_tz              /* 10:DABORT    */ /* WJP */

b    .            /* 14:reserved    */

b    mon_irq_entry        /* 1C:IRQ    */

/* b    mon_fiq_entry */    /* 20:FIQ    */

The 'pabort_tz' and 'dabort_tz' will only be used if you trap the normal world external aborts.  The first instruction to execute in the normal world will cause an external abort.  I believe I have already given enough of a sample.  In my case, I have both Linux and a 'bare metal' normal world program working.  The 'bare metal' would normally keep EA masked.  However, Linux will unmask them.  If I unmask them in the bare metal, then I immediately get a fault.  I think I setup the 'normal world' start above to enable them.  I have MQX hosting the monitor.  I can not post my modification to the Internet, both because of MQX licensing and it is my companies IP.  If I make a 'sample', it would be better to tell me what you want.  I will do this work if you promise that it can be fixed and/or will be timely attended by Freescale.  I don't want to wait a year for information.

And have you got handle all exceptions?

I handle the exceptions as in the vector table above.  Note that the 'dabort_tz' is only taken in the MVBAR when an external abort happens in the normal world (some of these vectors (WJP) should not be needed in a real system).  It seems that there is some external abort when running the first instruction in the normal world.  How can I tell what is causing this?

0 Kudos
VilemZ
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry, I don't understand everything in your application. Can you explain me this?     

1. You are using two applications? One of them is Linux? What kind of Linux? What kernel? Second of them is MQX? Is it true?

2. Both applications are runnign simultaneously and working with some exceptions? OK?

3. When you unmask EA in Linux, then everything is OK? But when you unmask EA in MQX, then fault?

Am I understand well?

Best regards

Vilem

0 Kudos
billpringlemeir
Contributor V

1. You are using two applications? One of them is Linux? What kind of Linux? What kernel? Second of them is MQX? Is it true?

I am running two OS's. One is a stock Linux.  The 2nd is MQX with modified interrupt handling, no DMA, no NEON, etc.  However, that really doesn't matter to the problem.

2. Both applications are runnign simultaneously and working with some exceptions? OK?

Yes.  Trustzone works with three sets of vector tables.  Again, it really doesn't matter.

3. When you unmask EA in Linux, then everything is OK? But when you unmask EA in MQX, then fault?

No.  This is incorrect.  EA is mask/unmasked in the secure world (MQX), then there is no issue; there is no issue with the secure world (or a regular Vybrid boot)  When the 'normal' world first executes, there is some 'EA' signaled to the CPU.  If the normal world is allowed to mask EA (configured via TrustZone) and it is always masked, then there is no issue.  However, Linux wishes to unmask the EA; normally it is quite far into the boot process.  I modified the Monitor/TrustZone to not allow the normal world (Linux OR bare metal) to not be able to mask EA and to trap these to the monitor.  [Aside: After this, I disable the trap to monitor on EA and allow Linux (normal world) to mask/unmask and everything is fine].  In all cases, the monitor gets the EA with the 'lr' set to the first instruction + 8.  Ie, there seems to be some EA signaled as soon as the first instruction executes.  The only way to clear it, is to take the exception in the monitor and return.  After doing this, everything can work as normal.  The MQX exeception  table has nothing to do with it.  There are three exception tables,

1. Linux (normal world)
  2. MQX (secure world)
  3. Monitor

It is configured which mode takes the exceptions when an abort happens.  I have tried several permutations.  I don't have trouble handling the execption.  I want to know WHY does the first normal world instruction cause an external abort?  It certainly could be something that I need to set up before executing in the 'normal world', but I have no way to figure out what it is.  There are many sub-systems to the Vybrid and I can't really know what device caused the exception.  The normal world banked FAR is bogus and set with whatever I initially write to it before starting the 'normal world'.  The symptoms are the same whether Linux runs or a bare metal application.  It is does not needed to have two OS's running.  Just setup an environment to run a small routine in the 'normal world'; interrupts do not need to be handled in the 'normal world' as a pure polling system also exhibit the problem.

So perhaps, the CAAM, the L1/L2 cache, TZASC, etc are triggering an EA (I haven't explicitly configured every peripherals in the system).  Or maybe there is some spurious EA signaled when the normal world first starts.  I want to know what peripheral/sub-system it is and if it can be prevented or if I must trap the first instruction to execute.  Perhaps I will execute some 'trusted' code in the normal world to get rid of the spurious EA (if that is the case).  I believe that I read the ISR,

asm(" mrc p15, 0, %0, c12, c1, 0\n" : "=r"(tmp)); /* ISR */

And it does not appear until the normal world executes (bit 8) and it stays until someone takes an EA exception and then it is cleared and does not re-occur.

0 Kudos