cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAG3110: transitioning from active mode to standby

PeterK
Contributor III

Hello,

I have a question about entering standby mode from active. Nothing vital just for a better understanding.

The scenario is an application that is doing some continuous data gathering in active mode at a specific ODR and OSR and then "decides", while still in active mode, that it is a good time to put the MAG3110 into standby mode. Another scenario (not mine) is that an application could want to stay in active mode but at different ODR and/or OSR.

According to the datasheet, before any changes, we first need to enter standby.

Now, section 4.2.6 in the datasheet has some information relating to this but is focused on the behavior when transitioning from active mode into triggered mode.

Section 5.5.1 seems to provide an answer, e.g. just write 0 to the CTRL_REG1    AC bit, but in contrast to the information in 4.2.6 there is no further explanation as to what happens then. Since the device, at that time, I mean just before clearing AC, would be in continuous active mode,  it could be 1) in the middle of a measurement or 2) waiting for the right time to do the next, or 3) ?.

What happens when you clear AC? Are there different scenarios, for example depending on the sub states? Or will device without further ado abandon everything?

I am trying to decide between a) entering standby as described or b) just powering the device off, like I am doing now.

--thanks a lot--

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

PeterK
Contributor III

thanks, Tomas

for looking into this

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Peter,

I have emailed our design team to check on this and will update this thread once I have their answer.

I would say the device would abruptly enter standby mode when AC bit is cleared irrespective of where it is in the state protocol (measurement/waiting etc).

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos