Can reverse orientation damage a differential pressure sensor?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can reverse orientation damage a differential pressure sensor?

Jump to solution
BelisariusCawl
Contributor I

Hi.

I am designing a digital spirometer which uses a differential pressure sensor - specifically, the MPX2010DP.

There may be a need to measure airflow in both directions. As a bidirectional pressure sensor is not suitable due to budget constraints, my first thought was to use two sensors in opposite orientations and ignore any reading from the sensor that is under reverse pressure (i.e. P2 > P1).

Do I risk causing damage to the reversed sensor?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The MPX2010DP is designed to operate with positive pressure only (P1 > P2).

In other words the pressure applied to the P2 side should be lower than the pressure applied to the P1 side.

We do not recommend to use it at P1 < P2 even thought the device may work (negative output).

Only the MPXV70xx family is designed to measure a pressure that alternates from positive to negative (with an offset at 2.5V).

Best regards,

Tomas

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The MPX2010DP is designed to operate with positive pressure only (P1 > P2).

In other words the pressure applied to the P2 side should be lower than the pressure applied to the P1 side.

We do not recommend to use it at P1 < P2 even thought the device may work (negative output).

Only the MPXV70xx family is designed to measure a pressure that alternates from positive to negative (with an offset at 2.5V).

Best regards,

Tomas