Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating JumpStart Projects for s32k116 EVB

Jump to solution
highway_joe
Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am running out of ideas: When I load the jumpstart project from the nxp site for s32k116 EVB into Design Suite 3.4 I get errors.

Errors.PNG

I found a post for migrating projects, what I think I have to do. When I import the project as "Existing projects into Workspace" I get the above errors.
So, I right click the project and click migrate, i get the following window.
 Migrating.PNG

I have downloaded the project from here
https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/board-support-packages/S32K116EVB_JumpStart_FreeMaster.zip

Can anyone help?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

There is a hello world example that just configures clocks, pins and toggles some LEDs.

danielmartynek_0-1628690572434.png

Then it depends on the peripherals you want to use.

Regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
highway_joe
Contributor II

Hello Daniel, thank you for your answer.

Which project do you recommend to (jump) start a SDK project and do a Hello World on the EVB? I thought, the jump start SDK project is intended for doing so ...

Thank you!

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

There is a hello world example that just configures clocks, pins and toggles some LEDs.

danielmartynek_0-1628690572434.png

Then it depends on the peripherals you want to use.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
highway_joe
Contributor II

Hello Daniel,

thank you for the advice! I was able to compile the propject and running it on the EVB.

P.S.: I was sneaking around for a while in the whole menu ending up not finding the entry to open examples. Stepping back from the computer I realized this must be easier to find. Clicking in the menu

File/new/S32DS project from Example

brought me to the mentioned examples..... Maybe someone finds this information helpful.
Anyway, wondering why I could not find that hint on the getting started page, I found that pdf via the Getting started link.

...\S32DS.3.4\S32DS\help\resources\howto\HOWTO_Add_user_example_into_S32DS.pdf

I had that pdf open already, but my stupid Internet Explorer was only showing the front page. When I opened the file on the Adobe Acrobat ... what should I say :

Everything is there, when you know where to search for it

Thanks again!

Regards

Edit 20210812: I have to add, I could not load the program onto the k116 EVB. I am able to compile but not use the elf file for debugging with FreeMaster. I open a new topic for that.

highway_joe
Contributor II

Hey Daniel, thank you for sharing the example projects.

I feel like this is a pretty dump question, but I am not able to run the project in the K116 EVB.

What I have tried to do (even it seems not right to me but I am lost here) is to put the elf file on the EVB via Windows HardDrive. As said, this seems not right to me, but I could not find an appropriate hint in the user manual nor in the community ...

I want to compile a srec-file on the project, but how do I do that?

Sry for bothering with that ... but is there a tutorial for running an example project in the Design Studio and debugging that with FreeMASTER?

Regards

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You can simply load and debug the examples via the OpenSDA onboard debugger.

danielmartynek_0-1629108202007.png

danielmartynek_1-1629108251533.png

If you want to use an .srec file instead, open the properties of the project (right click on the project file)

danielmartynek_3-1629108384382.png

Apply and close.

Again, open the properties.

danielmartynek_4-1629108453847.png

Built the project.

You should see the generated .srec file in the Debug folder.

Regarding FreeMaster, can you please create a new thread in the FreeMaster community?

https://community.nxp.com/t5/FreeMASTER/bd-p/freemasterhttps://community.nxp.com/t5/Software-Forums/...

There are simple FreeMaster examples for S32K14x but not for S32K11x.

danielmartynek_0-1629110202670.png

Thanks,

BR, Daniel

0 Kudos
highway_joe
Contributor II

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for giving me hints!

I tried your description for the OpenSDA connection. I am able to set breakpoints and watch variables. Perfect! I can work now!

Thank you, you rock!

P.S.: I will write separately in the forum for the freeMaster issue ... I am unsure, what will be the benefit out of it, when I would use the FreeMaster SW. Can you recommend the OpenSDA connection? In which case  would I better use the FreeMaster connection? Thank you!!

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @highway_joe,

As you can see in the description of the FreeMaster,

FreeMASTER supports non-intrusive monitoring of variables on a running system and can display multiple variables on oscilloscope-like displays as standard widgets (gauges, sliders and more) or as data in text form, offering simple-to-use data recorders.

Host communication options

UART, USB/CDC serial communication peripherals
CAN communication
SWD/JTAG debug connection

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/freemaster-run-time-debugging-tool:FREEMAST...

Whereas OpenSDA can monitor variables in Debug mode over the JTAG/SWD interface only.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @highway_joe,

The JumpStart project is rather old.

The Migrate tool does support only SDK 3.0.x and SDK 4.0.x.

danielmartynek_0-1628684846165.png

You can still load the already compiled .srec file though.

...\S32K116EVB_JumpStart_FreeMaster.zip\S32K116_EVB_JumpStart_Firmware\Debug\S32K116_EVB_JumpStart_Firmware.srec

Why do you need this JumpStart project?

There are many other examples/demos in the S32 Design Studio.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos