cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other nice MCUs...

pittbull
Contributor III

Hi,
I recently worked on a customer project using an Atmel AT91SAMX256.
I'm quite impressed about this MCU because it has none of the inconveniences we have to fight with on S12 derivatives.
There's no paging, a really fast 32-bit ARM7 CPU (that can be used in little- or big endian mode!!). There's no need for an XGATE because of an DMA mechanism that tranfers memory from/to all peripherals, a highly configurable (variable shift register width, automatic delays, etc.) SPI with four chip select lines.
It has integrated USB support, 64K RAM (non-paged!!!), a built-in boot ROM and many more, but all for nearly the same price as an S12XA256!
The only disadvantage is the lower GPIO count.
There might be other disadvantages (e.g. higher current consumption), but until now I'm very surprised about that nice multi-purpose MCU.
Cheers,
-> pittbull

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-02-25 06:30 PM

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Alban
Senior Contributor II

Hello, I removed the content of previous message. But then restored it for several reasons.

Post about a 32-Bit ATMEL Microcontroller.

If there is no board to talk about Freescale 32-bit MCU here, it's not to pollute the Freescale 16-bit board with other brands of 32-bit MCUs.
A post twice out of subject should have simply be deleted like others, but I wished to explain for it not to occur again.

It is normal a 32-bit MCU does not need paging for 64KB. That is a 16-bit address. MAC7xxx series is also a ARM7 core series that would not need paging scheme.

Alban.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-02-25 06:38 PM

0 Kudos