Flux cleaning compatibility?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flux cleaning compatibility?

kurt_l
Contributor II

We have a batch of boards containing 9S12 processors on them that were built with poor solder paste (too old).  The solder joints appear to be OK, but the appearance of the boards is very poor.  We'd like to try and salvage them by manually cleaning them, perhaps with a product like this:

http://www.aclstaticide.com/flux_remover_no_clean.html

Does anyone have experience with using a product like this?  Any caveats?  Our manufacturing engineer is also looking at a Kyzen Aquanox product:

http://www.kyzen.com/cleaning-chemistries/aquanox/

Thanks,

Kurt

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

kurt_l
Contributor II

Thank you for your responses!

Kurt

0 Kudos

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kurt,

Unfortunately, I don’t have personal experience with these products.

It may work fine for some small PCB series and simple PCB design.

In the ideal case, you should use an ultrasonic cleaner with some enzyme fluid. The industrial spirit/isopropyl alcohol instead enzyme fluid may be used only as temporary solution – just for prototype boards. Alcohols may be soaked by plastic materials and cause slow corrosion inside = limited lifetime, in years.

On another side, this is not an ideal solution for PCBs with small mechanical parts like a buzzer, … we should seal them prior submersion.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
Radek

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iggi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

i contacted a friend of mine, an engineer who has great experience in soldering electronics.

Usually he cleans with Isopropyl alcohol but as per him, the best 'defluxors' he knows which have pretty good ratings are these:
Flux Removers | MicroCare Electronics Cleaning 

It is expensive ... but it's probably top what can you buy.

Regards,

iggi