cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLRC610 System Margin Testing

johnbatikian
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using the slrc610 to read a custom RFID tag in ISO/IEC 15693. The system is in a confined space with a reader antenna that is 5mm x 5mm and the tag is roughly the same size. The working distance is less than 1mm and the mechanical design is build such that the working distance is always the same. I want to find a way to measure the margin of the system performance and one though was to decrease the transmission power level until the tag was no longer readable. I have tried reducing the TxAmp register set_cw_amplitude (found in “SLRC610 High-performance ICODE frontend SLRC610 and SLRC610 plus – 227643” section 8.8.2), but it did not cause enough variation to be noticeable.

Is there any other way to reduce the transmitter voltage until reading is no longer possible? Or another method for measuring margin of the system?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

juergenschoeder
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Another option is to adjust/reduce the transmitter voltage supplied on TVDD, e.g. with a lab power supply. This will allow to modify the TX supply voltage and by this the antenna current at a given antenna matching impedance until the tag cannot be read anymore at your target distance. Once you have found the minimum current required to read your tag, you can adapt your antenna impedance in such a way that this TX current is achieved at your given supply voltage.

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear John Batikian,

playing with the distance of the reader can be done in two ways, either the reader have a DPC (dynamic power control) module or  do it by hardware with your antenna design,  as in the description the TxAmp helps to the accuracy of the modulation but  to improve or modify the distance. we have readers with DPC like PN7462 or PN5180.

BR

Jonathan