cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Control Class: Lecture 9 - Open Loop Control System

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In this 9th lecture of the motor control course we discuss open loop control system and how to build a Simulink model to allow us to control the BLDC motor without closing the speed control loop. We start from the models developed in previous lecture and by putting together all these models we will spin up for the first time the BLDC motor based on Hall sensor commutation. 

Main topics:

- What is Open Loop Control system and how is it different from a Closed Loop Speed Control system ;

- Build the Simulink model for Open Loop control of BLDC motor;

Objectives:

- Understand the benefits of Open Loop Control system;

- Validate all the concepts we learn so far;   

- Apply and reuse all the models we developed so far in this course;

- Spin the motor for the first time;

NOTE: Chinese viewers can watch the video on YOUKU using this link

注意:中国观众可以使用此链接观看YOUKU上的视频

187341_187341.PNG1.PNG187340_187340.PNG2.PNG187342_187342.PNG3.PNG

Additional information:

- pdf attached with slides shown in this video;

- Simulink model used in this video;

Original Attachment has been moved to: Lecture9.zip

Update revisions:

February 25, 2019

May 06, 2020

4 Replies

darrin_weiss
Contributor II

OK thank you dumitru-daniel.popa , progress!  I now have the motor spinning and can connect with Freemaster after making the changes in the link above.

I want to mention that the connection of the motor phases that works on my system does not match the instructions.  For me the following connections work (using a Linix 45ZWN24-40).    I ran my own manual test using (A:White, B: Blue, C: Green) and observed the same hall states as implemented in the model, yet the motor performance was very poor until connecting as indicated below.  I welcome comments/analysis on this observation.

Motor:

PHA : BLUE

PHB: GRN

PHC: WHT

1: Red

2: Black

3: White

4: Green

5: Blue

0 Kudos

darrin_weiss
Contributor II

Hi, this is a great course! 

I have a question/problem: When running the code generated by this example, it appears that the power stage becomes disabled when Freemaster connects to the target.  Any ideas why, and what to do to get the power stage re-enabled?  Also, why are some model variables not visible in Freemaster?  (For example, "PhaseA", "EN", etc)

0 Kudos

darrin_weiss
Contributor II

More info. It seems that the EN and RST lines have constant glitching when Freemaster is connected.  Is there a setting to prevent this?

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello darrin.weiss@baesystems.com

Please check this article: https://community.nxp.com/thread/491022 

Best regards,
Daniel