Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How task is resumed if core mutex is lock by the other core

Jump to solution
hbouch
Contributor III

Hello,

I want to share variables between the two cores of the MPC5668G. I was thinking about using the core mutex to implement a lock mechanism to avoir both core to access the same memory address at the same time. However, when I look at MQX code I started to belive that core mutex can't work. Here is why:

In function _core_mutex_lock, if the mutex is already lock, the task is suspended which is the behaviour I would expect. A call to _core_mutex_unlock will resume the suspended task. However, if the mutex is lock by the other core, the task is also suspended and the only mean to resume it is for the other core to unlock the mutex. This will trigger the an interrupt on the first core. The ISR (_sema4_isr) is suppose to resume the task but when I look at the _core_mutex_lock function, before the task is suspended because the mutex is lock by the other core (in blue), the interrupts are disabled (in red).

uint32_t _core_mutex_lock( CORE_MUTEX_PTR core_mutex_ptr )

{

unsigned char lock = _psp_core_num()+1;

#if MQX_CHECK_ERRORS

if (core_mutex_ptr == NULL) {

return MQX_INVALID_POINTER;

}

if (core_mutex_ptr->VALID != CORE_MUTEX_VALID) {

return MQX_INVALID_POINTER;

}

#endif

_sema4_int_disable();

#if BSPCFG_CORE_MUTEX_STATS

core_mutex_ptr->LOCKS++;

#endif

/* Check to see if this core already own it */

if (*core_mutex_ptr->GATE_PTR == lock) {

/* Yes, then we have to wait for owning task to release it */

core_mutex_ptr->WAITS++;

#endif

_taskq_suspend(core_mutex_ptr->WAIT_Q);

} else {

/* can only try to lock the mutex if another task is not waiting  otherwise we need to get in line */

if (_taskq_get_value(core_mutex_ptr->WAIT_Q)==0) {

*core_mutex_ptr->GATE_PTR = lock;

}

if (*core_mutex_ptr->GATE_PTR != lock) {

core_mutex_ptr->WAITS++;

#endif

_taskq_suspend(core_mutex_ptr->WAIT_Q);

/* Our turn now */

}

}

_sema4_int_enable();

return COREMUTEX_OK;

}

My understanding is that ISR will never be called (since interrupts are disabled) so task will never resumed and interrupts will never be re-enabled.

Maybe there is something that I missed ? Can anyone explain to me how a task can be resumed if mutex is lock by the other core?

Thanks,

Hugo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
hbouch
Contributor III

The interrupts will be disabled only for the current task. Since task in suspended, if interrupts are enabled in the next task that will be activated, the ISR _sema4_isr will be serviced.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hbouch
Contributor III

The interrupts will be disabled only for the current task. Since task in suspended, if interrupts are enabled in the next task that will be activated, the ISR _sema4_isr will be serviced.

0 Kudos