Should MCUXpresso SDK Refresh replace linked headers with copied headers?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should MCUXpresso SDK Refresh replace linked headers with copied headers?

TomGibson
Contributor III

I have created a project in MCUXpresso using links to the SDK files. If I perform an SDK refresh (right-click on project -> SDK Management -> Refresh SDK Components) the linked header files are all replaced with copied header files. This does not happen to the linked source files which remain as links.

This feels like a bug - is this intended behaviour?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @TomGibson 

Thanks a lot for being so patient. I really appreciate it.

After checking your issue, when you click on refresh SDK components directly with the right-click on the project, it appears to you a screen like this, right?

PabloAvalos_0-1661435375398.png

It is supposed that some header files are going to be replaced with the newest version, however, the source files from your project can only be updated or replaced by adding SDK components (for example if you need another driver to your application), so please, let me know what did you see when you do the process that I made in the picture, and what are you expecting to reach.

Important Note: Before creating a new project, it is highly suggested to update SDK version to the newest one on the Installed SDK's tab at the center below part of MCUXpresso IDE.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have some comments or some more questions.

Best Regards.
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos

TomGibson
Contributor III

Hi Pablo,

Apologies for not responding sooner on this, I have been distracted on other projects.

I have followed the steps you mentioned in the IDE, and what happens in my newly created project is that 52 new header files appear in my project directory. These files were previously all referenced as links to their location on disk via the top level 'Includes' item in the project tree. Also, there are some additional paths added in the .cproject file:

<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/freertos/freertos_kernel/include}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/freertos/freertos_kernel/portable/GCC/ARM_CM4F}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/drivers}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/xip}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/CMSIS}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/device}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/component/serial_manager}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/component/uart}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/utilities}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/component/lists}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/board}&quot;"/>
<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="&quot;${workspace_loc:/${ProjName}/source}&quot;"/>

I am using the SDK from github, version 2.12.0.

I don't believe that the refresh should really do very much with linked files, the reason I am concerned about this is that something similar happens when I try to add additional SDK components via the 'Manage SDK Components' dialog. The IDE just doesn't seem to respect that the SDK files should be linked to not copied into the project folder.

If you like, I could send you a git repository with the contents of the project and/or the workspace both before and after performing the refresh?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @TomGibson 

Thanks a lot for being so patient.

I am still reviewing your case, so please give me a little bit more time to check it.

I will reach you back as soon as possible, I truly appreciate you were so patient.

Thanks a lot!
Sincerely,
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos