cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote debug in MCUXpresso.

arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hello guys,

I'm migrating from KDS to MCUXpresso and a feature i really like is the "remote target" section in the segger debug configuration.

I notice it's missing in the MCUXpresso, are you guys planning to add it?

Regards, Arthur Passos.

arthur.passos@ravex.com.br

Labels (1)
12 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arthur,

as a follow up: it is possible to share a USB based P&E or Segger debug probe and use it with MCUXpresso IDE. For how this works in the lastest MCUXpresso IDE10.3.1, I wrote a tutorial in Remote Debugging with USB based JTAG/SWD Debug Probes | MCU on Eclipse .

I hope this helps,

Erich

mzielinski
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

Can you confirm whether your procedure still works in the latest (11.3.0) version? I haven't had any success with it; after selecting the new remote debug configuration, the "Probes discovered" window reports JLink[serial number redacted] not found. I may also be misunderstanding what you mean by "Do not use the ‘blue’ debug icon in the MCUXpresso IDE: use the ‘Debug’ button in the launch configuration instead." I'm going thru the Debug option under "Debug your project" in the Quickstart Panel.

Thanks,

-Mike

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @mzielinski ,

yes, it works for me in 10.3.

Do not use the 'blue' debug button, use the 'green' one instead. The reason is that the IDE otherwise might change the connection back to a local one.

So:

a) select the project

b) Menu Run > Debug Configurations

c) double click on the left panel on 'GDB SEGGER Interface Debugging'

d) configure to use a remote connection:

ErichS_0-1621323071178.png

From here you can press 'Debug'.

Later on you can use the 'green' drop down to launch it:

ErichS_1-1621323241153.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

mzielinski
Contributor II

Hi Erich, 

Thanks for restating your instructions, I was not doing it properly before, and the IDE would still look like it was trying to connect with USB. I think I'm getting slightly further now, but the error message I'm getting is confusing me. I don't understand why it's trying to connect to localhost:2331 when I definitely have the correct IP address specified in the Debug configuration. Have you possibly seen this before?Capture.PNG

Really appreciate your help on this,

-Mike

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @mzielinski ,

not sure if it matters, but I'm using Windows. I saw a similar thing (reverting to a local connection) if using the 'blue' debug button, that's why I have used the 'green' one and there it worked.

Erich

0 Kudos

arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the follow up, at that time we gave up on this matter and chose KDS as the IDE.

Still, if in the future I need it, it'll be helpful.

Regards,

Arthur Passos.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry - MCUXpresso IDE currently only supports remote debug to ethernet-based SEGGER probes, not to USB probes being "shared" from other PCs. It is something we may consider supporting in the future, but I can't currently give you a timeframe.

[ Aside: Note that MCUXpresso IDE is in no way related to the old KDS product, other than the fact that both are built on the Eclipse/CDT framework. ]

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hi, that's ok, i appreciate your help!

Regards.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The auto-discovery of SEGGER probes on your local network is disabled by default by the IDE.  But as mentioned in section 3.8.1, "SEGGER software installation" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide, can be enabled in the MCUXpresso IDE -> J-Link Options page of the IDE Preferences.

Once this is enabled, J-Link's on your network will be displayed in the same way as USB probes, though this does mean that probe discovery may take slightly longer than normal.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hi, sorry i'm late, i was busy with another project.

Here's the breakdown: I enabled the option, hit search and it didn't find any SEGGER probes in the network, but okay, i wasn't connected to one.

So i ran "ip 192.168.1.27" (i'm in the same network) in the GDB Commander and as usual, it displayed connected in my PC and in my partner's PC (server).

Again, i hit search in the MCUXpresso, boom, it found my partners SEGGER but with one problem, the IP wasn't correct, it detected an IP address of -1 (Our SEGGERS don't have Ethernet ports, but as implicity mentioned before, it worked on KDS). Anyways,, i tried to hit debug and it didn't work.

So i changed the IP manually to 192.168.1.27 and tried again. In my partners PC (server) it prompted a window saying "Unknown EMU Command #28...")rubenspc.png

In my side, it displayed the following:

clientside.png

I noticed that SWD was the configured interface in my side (client side), but the hardware interface is actually JTAG, so i switched to JTAG in my side (client side) and tried again.

This time, my partner's PC (server side) didn't get the "Unknown EMU..." and even rebooted our hardware, but in my side (client side), i got the following:

clientside2.png

I hope that this is informative enough for you to help me.

Regards,

Arthur Passos - arthur.passos@ravex.com.br.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arthur,

I have used that approach using Segger remote server for USB based probes both for KDS and MCUXpresso IDE (see Remote Board Debugging: J-Link Remote Server with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse ). However it seems to me that the latest Segger versions do not work properly anymore (it works for me for example using the older Segger version used in that article. I'll contact Segger if they are aware of the problem with their newest binaries.

Erich

arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

Thanks for your help (again lmao), i'll check if i can downgrade my SEGGER version.

Regards,

Arthur Passos - arthur.passos@ravex.com.br.

0 Kudos