MCUXpresso, Segger Debug, and Select RTOS Plugin

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso, Segger Debug, and Select RTOS Plugin

Keith4DSmith
Contributor V

I am using MCUXpresso 11.2 with Segger J-Link 6.80d.

In the Debug dialogue/J-Link Debugger, there is a check box 'Select RTOS Plugin'. This enables the GDB FreeRTOS plugin.

The problem is that this check box does not stay 'checked'.

After one debug session, the next debug session the check box is 'unchecked'. One has to constantly check this box with each debug session.

Even a close workspace and reopen does not save the checked box setting.

Other members of my team are having the same issue.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Keith4DSmith
Contributor V

I have figured out the problem and a possible solution.

My development environment consists of two J-Link devices connected to two MCUs

The code running on each MCU is the same. I debug one MCU at a time using the MCUxpresso 'Debug your project' Debug icon.

Below is the RTOS setting before starting the debug session

<stringAttribute key="com.nxp.mcuxpresso.segger.rtos" value="true;GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS"/>
<stringAttribute key="com.nxp.mcuxpresso.segger.select" value="USB=174506020"/>

After the debug session is over the RTOS setting is

<stringAttribute key="com.nxp.mcuxpresso.segger.rtos" value="false;GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS"/>
<stringAttribute key="com.nxp.mcuxpresso.segger.select" value="USB=174506019"/>

Note that the USB ID has changed.

Thus the USB ID for the J-Link and the RTOS plugin setting are paired.

I only had one debug session for both J-Link devices.

My 'fix' is the following:

I create two different Debug configurations, DebugA and DebugB, each specifying a different USB ID
and checking the RTOS plugin setting.

I can then select the specific debug session. I use the Eclipse 'debug' icon to select the debug session,
not using the MCUxpresso 'Debug your project' Debug icon.

The confusion was the 'Debug your project' Debug icon provides a select J-Link dialogue, but does not
maintain the RTOS plugin.

So...The solution to the original problem is to create two separate debug sessions and select
the appropriate one.

I should also change the port addresses as per https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/04/12/debugging-multiple-nxp-boards-with-gdb-and-pe/
and https://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/01/07/debugging-the-same-project-multiple-times-in-parallel-with-eclip...
so I could have two GDB sessions.

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Keith,

thanks for sharing the details.

I tried to reproduce the same on my side. I have this:

MCUXpresso IDE 10.2.1 with SEGGER J-Link GDB Server V6.46k

I have two different J-Link (EDU mini) with different USB IDs, on different USB ports (if this matters)

Two boards (same firmware, hardware). Debugging one board with one board with one J-Link. Commit .launch file. Then debugging the other board with the different J-Link. Here is what gets changed on my side:

ErichS_0-1603277564089.png

So the USB ID gets changed for me in three places. But the RTOS plugin setting does not get touched for me. As a reference I have attached my .launch.

This is how it looks in the UI:

ErichS_1-1603277794307.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

That's strange: can you compare the .launch files (before, after) if this really gets removed somehow?

I don't think it is related by the J-Link 6.80d version (I'm using the IDE 10.2.0 with J-Link V6.86 on Windows 10 64bit) and do not see this?

The setting is controlled by following entry in the launch file:

<stringAttribute key="com.nxp.mcuxpresso.segger.rtos" value="true;GDBServer/RTOSPlugin_FreeRTOS"/>

ErichS_0-1602523323506.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos