Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layerscape LS1046 FRWY Board GPIO Signals

Jump to solution
matthej
Contributor II

Hi,

I purchased the LS1046 FRWY board and I am trying to use the GPIO signals. It looks like I have been able to successfully enable them since I am seeing them on the J67 GPIO header. The problem I am having is the mapping of the GPIO signals to the J67 header.

Here is the mapping from the Reference Board Manual.

matthej_0-1616182994778.png

The problem is that when I write the data register to set a particular GPIO, it seems to be coming out on the wrong pin. For example:

I can write 0x200 to the GPIO3 data register (GPDAT), I then see the signal  appear on J67-11 which corresponds to GPIO3_7. I expect that by writing a 0x200 to the GPDAT register, I would see the signal on  GPIO3_9 or J67-19.

This happens for multiple GPIOs. Is the mapping to the J67 incorrect? Am I not writing to the GDAT register correctly?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, now I see the problem. In fact the board's silkscreen is correct, while description in the manual is wrong. Attached  schematics with actual J67 routing, please use it as a reference.

The root of the problem is hystorical, J67 description in the manual corresponds to initial board revision that has been changed later. As a result schematics and layout around J67 were changed, while the table in the manual was somehow not fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First of all, your understanding of GPDAT bit ordering is not correct. Take a look at the description in the manual, bit ordering is GPDAT[0:31], not GPDAT[31:0]. So to set bit 9 you need to write value 0x00400000. In turn, GPIO block is big-endian, accessing from little-endian ARM core requires to do byte swapping. So actually you need to write 0x4000 to set bit #9. Please try.

I would add that results of your test are really strange. Writing 0x200 to GPDAT should set bit #14, not #7. GPIO3 bit #14 is connected to pin 12 of the header, that is close to pin 11 but  in different row. Please check once again.

0 Kudos
matthej
Contributor II

Thanks for the response! That helps a lot. The pinout of the J67 seems to be contradictory between the spec and the silkscreen on our board.

I have attached the silkscreen photo which is backwards from the pinout specified in above.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you clarify what is "contradictory between the spec and the silkscreen"? The spec does not illustrate pin topology of the header, simply lists connected signals.

0 Kudos
matthej
Contributor II

I agree that there is no topology listed in the spec, but it says for example:

GPIO3_6 goes to J67-1.

But for the board I have it actually goes to J67-2 according to the way it is labeled on my board.

My board has silkscreen labeled in this way:

1 2

3  4

5  6

7   8

etc.

But I believe the silkscreen is backwards for this board rev.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, now I see the problem. In fact the board's silkscreen is correct, while description in the manual is wrong. Attached  schematics with actual J67 routing, please use it as a reference.

The root of the problem is hystorical, J67 description in the manual corresponds to initial board revision that has been changed later. As a result schematics and layout around J67 were changed, while the table in the manual was somehow not fixed.

0 Kudos
matthej
Contributor II

Thanks!

Will the manual be updated such that this doesn't affect other people as well?

Just curious

0 Kudos
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I will notify documentation team, hopefully they will fix the mistake soon.

0 Kudos