postmortem ETB trace

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postmortem ETB trace

jimkiely
Contributor I

Is it possible to do postmortem debugging on the LPC43xx series (LPC4350 particilarly) using the ETB?

I can get ETB to display trace info if I run from LPCXpresso, MCUXpresso or Segger's Ozone.

But I really need to connect to a target that has been running normally (i.e not running from the debugger) and read and decode the ETB.

Is this possible with LPCXpresso, MCUXpresso or Segger's Ozone or with any other tool or combination of tools in the know universe?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jim

I suggest you use SWO ITM trace.

• Without debug tools attached, an ITM event will not halt the MCU, it will simply be ignored.
  • ITM operations could be left within production code, thereby allowing logging information to be captured simply

For more information, see

How to use ITM Printf 

Overview of Trace support in LPCXpresso IDE 

Have a great day,
Jun Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jimkiely
Contributor I

I do not understand how ITM printf is related to postmortem debugging.

It does not provide the ability to back-trace where the dead device got hung.

It does not allow me to read the ETB, which has the back-trace information that I need.

0 Kudos