cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dLAN Green PHY eval board II - help

andrearendine
Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I have two dLAN PHY eval board useful for powerline communication and I'd like to understand better how to programm this board based on LPC1758. 

If someone have a detailed documentation (more that the datasheed and manual on the website of Devolo which are very poor writed) or some examples about this board could be great. 

I'd like, just to start, to send a paket via PLC e and turn on the LED to the other board. 

Thanks 

Andrea 

Labels (5)
21 Replies

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Dear Andrea,

for any technical questions the people from codico can help you. You can find our partner here:

DEVOLO - dLAN, dLAN WiFi and dLAN GreenPHY available at CODICO 

The can also help you starting your project using green PHY. If you are thinking about large quantities or bigger projects you can contact me again. I will check if we can takeover your project with my team then.

Best regards, Tobias.

0 Kudos

rrrramr110
Contributor I

Hi Tobias,

The documentation very poor for this product, and the old SDK have a pdf with simple description!! 

I Hope if there is someone from devolo to create some professional examples for beginner or else,

the general SDK content a lot of padded information, 

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

You can regard the devolo eval board as a perfect platform to investigate the Homeplug AV greenPHY technology. All the PLC parameters and details are the same since a greenPHY chip is the purpose of this evaluation system. Any additional functionality, such as handling of sensors and actors, is controlled by the LPC1758 host processor. 

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

There is someone from Devolo that can help?

Thanks,

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Soggetta a direzione e coordinamento della società Shenzhen Deren

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Tel:0522364267

andrea.rendine@metasystem.it

Da: tobiasfrauenrath <admin@community.nxp.com>

Per: Andrea Rendine <andrea.rendine@metasystem.it>,

Data: 17/05/2017 12:03

Oggetto: Re: - Re: dLAN Green PHY eval board II - help

NXP Community

Re: dLAN Green PHY eval board II - help

reply from Tobias Frauenrath in LPC - View the full discussion

You can regard the devolo eval board as a perfect platform to investigate

the Homeplug AV greenPHY technology. All the PLC parameters and details

are the same since a greenPHY chip is the purpose of this evaluation

system. Any additional functionality, such as handling of sensors and

actors, is controlled by the LPC1758 host processor.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on

NXP Community

Start a new discussion in LPC by email or at NXP Community

Following Re: dLAN Green PHY eval board II - help in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by NXP Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from NXP Community, or adjust email

frequency in your email preferences

Il contenuto di questo messaggio elettronico e' riservato ed e' rivolto esclusivamente al/ai destinatario/i identificato/i. Pertanto e' proibito leggerlo, copiarlo, divulgarlo o utilizzarlo da parte di chiunque salvo il/i destinatario/i. Se non siete il destinatario, vi invitiamo a cancellare il messaggio ed eventuali allegati dandocene immediatamente comunicazione scritta a mezzo posta elettronica. Sebbene la società mittente si impegna ad assumere tutte le misure più idonee per assicurare l'assenza di virus all'interno di eventuali allegati alla presente comunicazione e-mail, tali misure non costituiscono una garanzia assoluta e pertanto vi invitiamo a porre in essere i vostri controlli antivirus prima di aprire qualsiasi allegato. La società mittente non si assume alcuna responsabilità per eventuali danni che potreste subire a causa di virus sul software.

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. Reading, copying, disclosure or use by anybody else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachment and advise the sender by return e-mail. Whilst the sender company takes reasonable care to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail does not contain software viruses, this cannot be guaranteed and you should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. The sender company accepts no responsibility or liability for any damage that you may suffer as a result of software viruses.

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I
0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

I already saw this document.

I need information about the Devolo PLC board, I already know the HomePlug

standard.

Thanks

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 17/05/2017 10:50

NXP Community

I found an interesting article at the homeplug website:

http://www.homeplug.org/media/filer_public/92/3f/923f0eb3-3d17-4b10-ac75-03c3c2855879/homeplug_green...?

NXP Community

Il contenuto di questo messaggio elettronico e' riservato ed e' rivolto esclusivamente al/ai destinatario/i identificato/i. Pertanto e' proibito leggerlo, copiarlo, divulgarlo o utilizzarlo da parte di chiunque salvo il/i destinatario/i. Se non siete il destinatario, vi invitiamo a cancellare il messaggio ed eventuali allegati dandocene immediatamente comunicazione scritta a mezzo posta elettronica. Sebbene la società mittente si impegna ad assumere tutte le misure più idonee per assicurare l'assenza di virus all'interno di eventuali allegati alla presente comunicazione e-mail, tali misure non costituiscono una garanzia assoluta e pertanto vi invitiamo a porre in essere i vostri controlli antivirus prima di aprire qualsiasi allegato. La società mittente non si assume alcuna responsabilità per eventuali danni che potreste subire a causa di virus sul software.

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. Reading, copying, disclosure or use by anybody else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachment and advise the sender by return e-mail. Whilst the sender company takes reasonable care to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail does not contain software viruses, this cannot be guaranteed and you should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. The sender company accepts no responsibility or liability for any damage that you may suffer as a result of software viruses.

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Dear Andrea, since HomeplugAV greenPHY is a fixed standard, you can not change the frequency range which is used in the SDK. This is 2 - 30 MHz. We call this range "low band". Non greenPHY HomePlug AV products are also using the high band additionally, which goes from 30 to 68 / 85 MHz. 

To measure the frequency range you can use J4. Remove all the jumpers from J8 and place them to J7. J5 and J6 should also be closed. If you want to use J3, please remove the jumpers J5 and J6, too. 

Best regards, Tobias.

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

Thanks,

but my question was another.

Is possible to see with the spectrum analyzer the OFDM of the 2-30MHz

signals?

Further:

1) How many pkt the two board sent?

2) What is the power of the single pkt?

3)What the two board "says" between each other?

Sorry if I ask but I really need to undersand.

Thanks

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 17/05/2017 10:23

NXP Community

Dear Andrea, since HomeplugAV greenPHY is a fixed standard, you can not

change the frequency range which is used. This is 2 - 30 MHz. We call this

range "low band". Non greenPHY products are also using the high band

addidtionally, which goes from 30 to 68 / 85MHz.

NXP Community

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Dear Andrea, 

I agree that the documentation of the new SDK is poor at the moment, but we are working on that as soon as the wanted base functionality is available in the new SDK on Github. The old SDK will be dropped from our homepage then and we will provide the official link to github from the page very soon!

This week we implemented a valid MAC address implementation for all the interfaces. You don't have to enter a static MAC for each greenPHY product anymore, which was criticized by some of our customers. You can share your engineering with us by working with the development branch. If you want to use all the features which are described in the SDK-Word-document you have to use the old SDK, but I would like to ask you to share your ideas within the new branch!

GitHub - devolo/dlan-greenphy-sdk: The devolo dLAN Green PHY module is ideal for installation in all... 

Best regards, Tobias.

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

Hi Tobias.

is possible to connect a spectrum analyzer to the board and evaluate at

least the bandwidth used?

I tried to follow the datasheet which explain how to set the jumpers in

order to use the coax cable for PLC but connecting with spectrum analyzer

I don't see nothing.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 16/05/2017 11:08

NXP Community

Dear Andrea,

I agree that the documentation of the new SDK is poor at the moment, but

we are working on that as soon as the wanted base functionality is

available in the new SDK on Github. The old SDK will be dropped from our

homepage then and we will provide the official link to github from the

page very soon!

This week we implemented a valid MAC address implementation for all the

interfaces. You don't have to enter a static MAC for each greenPHY product

anymore, which was criticized by some of our customers. You can share your

engineering with us by working with the development branch. If you want to

use all the features which are described in the SDK-Word-document you have

to use the old SDK, but I would like to ask you to share your ideas within

the new branch!

GitHub - devolo/dlan-greenphy-sdk: The devolo dLAN Green PHY module is

ideal for installation in all IoT-devices. Inclu?

Best regards, Tobias.

NXP Community

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

You don't have to use the ethernet interface. You can link the PLC interface to the (webserver)-application of the LPC1758. That can be done with pre-processor command in the master branch. In the develop-branch there will be a connection between the ETH, the PLC and the webinterface.

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

Hi Tobias,

Even if I want to use the (webserver)-application of the LPC1758 I don't

have a good documentation or example.

Do you have some example?

Thanks,

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 12/05/2017 17:56

NXP Community

You don't have to use the ethernet interface. You can link the PLC

interface to the (webserver)-application of the LPC1758. That can be done

with pre-processor command in the master branch. In the develop-branch

there will be a connection between the ETH, the PLC and the webinterface.

NXP Community

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Hi,

of course it is possible to transmit and receive selfmade packets, but I strongly advice to use the IP standard. The best way to commit IO information is to use MQTT. An example is available in the main branch of the SDK, which is actually reworked in the devolop branch. A new example and also new documentation will be available soon.

Best regards.

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

Hi,

And what if I don't want to use the ethernet module but just PLC?

Thanks,

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 12/05/2017 17:00

NXP Community

Hi,

of course it is possible to transmit and receive selfmade packets, but I

strongly advice to use the IP standard. The best way to commit IO

information is to use MQTT. An example is available in the main branch of

the SDK, which is actually reworked in the devolop branch. A new example

and also new documentation will be available soon.

Best regards.

NXP Community

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Dear Andrea, 

I can understand your idea, but HomplugAV greenPHY is a fixed protocol which is used for example in the world of eMobility and building automation. This insures that the communication is always compatible to standard HomePlugAV wall plug adapters. You can not change this parameters, because they are encapsulated in the QCA7000 chip. 

Please use google with these keywords "QCA7000 HomePlug greenPHY" and you will find the datasheet of the PLC chip which is used on this evalboard. 

Since we don't have the chance to change any of the PLC parameters, we have to understand, that there is a IP connection between all the PLC devices used. You can regard this connection as a substitute of a traditional ethernet wire connection. 

The idea might be to setup a TCP/IP connection to another host. A common approach is to use MQTT, but a webinterface is also used by some of our customers. There you can add for example the functionality to turn of the USR LED on or off using LPC GPIO commands (). 

HomePlug - Wikipedia 

Best regards, Tobias

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

Dear Tobias,

thanks for the support.

Actually I have read the QCA7000 HomePlug greenPHY and also the datasheet

of QCA and LPC uP.

However, I need something practical about the evaluation board.

So you confirm that the only way to use the PLC is bridged with Ethernet?

Is not possible to send a paket, rightly modulated using the pre-set-up

HomePlug greenPHY libraries? I don't want to change the standard but to

use the standard.

My example is easy: SEND PKG (with PLC HOME PLUG), if the packet is

correctly received so RECEIVE PKG --> turn on USER LED.

Is possible?

Thanks,

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 12/05/2017 16:32

NXP Community

Dear Andrea,

I can understand your idea, but HomplugAV greenPHY is a fixed protocol

which is used for example in the world of eMobility and building

automation. This insures that the communication is always compatible to

standard HomePlugAV wall plug adapters. You can not change this

parameters, because they are encapsulated in the QCA7000 chip.

Please use google with these keywords "QCA7000 HomePlug greenPHY" and you

will find the datasheet of the PLC chip which is used on this evalboard.

Since we don't have the chance to change any of the PLC parameters, we

have to understand, that there is a IP connection between all the PLC

devices used. You can regard this connection as a substitute of a

traditional ethernet wire connection.

The idea might be to setup a TCP/IP connection to another host. A common

approach is to use MQTT, but a webinterface is also used by some of our

customers. There you can add for example the functionality to turn of the

USR LED on or off using LPC GPIO commands ().

HomePlug - Wikipedia

Best regards, Tobias

NXP Community

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Dear Andrea,

there is some information available on the webpages of devolo. Please go to the (german) webpage: 

dLAN® Green PHY eval board II - devolo Business Solutions 

There, you will find 2 documents:

• Datenblatt - some information about Hardware - language is English!
  • Handbuch - some information about how to get started with the old SDK- language is also English!

I think it is a good idea to start with the bridge mode.

1. Connect one standard (HomePlug-AV e.g. dLAN® pro 1200+) PLC adapter to your router via Ethernet.
  2. Power the evalboard using the USB plug.
  3. Connect a workstation to the Ethernetport of the evalboard. 
  4. Press the PAIR button on both, the evalboard and the PLC plug.
  5. After a while the PLC LED should indicate the PLC connection.
  6. If there is no connection via your workstation you should install the old SDK in bridge mode first. This can be done using LPC-link2 and the JTAG connector. 

2nd step is to install the develop branch from github and collaborate with us realizing your idea. 

Best regards, Tobias.

0 Kudos

andrearendine
Contributor II

Hi Tobias,

I already have these documents and I already tried the PAIR connection and

I see the LEDs blinking, thinking that the two board get paired.

This don't help me to understand how the comunication between the two

board with powerline communication comes.

For example I want to know how is made the packet (size, lenght,

bandwidth, frequency etc...) , how is sent, what means the the two board

get "paired", how the second board recognize the packet etc.

For my purpose I'd like just to start to send ONE packet from one board

and receive the packet to the other board and BLINK the USER LED. How ?

Thanks.

Andrea Rendine

R&D dept.

Meta System S.p.A.

Electronic CO., LTD

www.metasystem.it

Via Galimberti 9

42124 - Reggio Emilia

Data: 12/05/2017 16:06

NXP Community

Dear Andrea,

there is some information available on the webpages of devolo. Please go

to the (german) webpage:

dLAN® Green PHY eval board II - devolo Business Solutions

There, you will find 2 documents:

Datenblatt - some information about Hardware - language is English!

Handbuch - some information about how to get started with the old SDK-

language is also English!

I think it is a good idea to start with the bridge mode.

1. Connect one standard (HomePlug-AV e.g. dLAN® pro 1200+) PLC

adapter to your router via Ethernet.

2. Power the evalboard using the USB plug.

3. Connect a workstation to the Ethernetport of the evalboard.

4. Press the PAIR button on both, the evalboard and the PLC plug.

5. After a while the PLC LED should indicate the PLC connection.

6. If there is no connection via your workstation you should install

the old SDK in bridge mode first. This can be done using LPC-link2 and the

JTAG connector.

2nd step is to install the develop branch from github and collaborate with

us realizing your idea.

Best regards, Tobias.

NXP Community

0 Kudos

tobiasfrauenrat
Contributor I

Dear Andrea, 

devolo provides a new SDK, which is available on github.  

GitHub - devolo/dlan-greenphy-sdk: The devolo dLAN Green PHY module is ideal for installation in all... 

This SDK is under development and there is no MQTT included yet, but it should be easy to start with this software, because it is more structured and FreeRTOS 9 is included. Please checkout the 'devolop' branch for the moment.

Best regards, Tobias.

0 Kudos

carlovalgocela
Contributor III

Hello tobiasfrauenrath

Do you have any updated documents and SDK?

I wanted to add more functions like PWM and ADC.

0 Kudos