What is the recommended microcontroller series that replaces the LPC214x series?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the recommended microcontroller series that replaces the LPC214x series?

Jump to solution
rodionvronsky
Contributor II

Hi, currently LPC2148 is not recommended for new designs.

I have existing designs, modify hardware is not a problem, but I have a lot of code (tons) using LPC2148 peripherals (UART, I2C, Timers, ...), which new family is peripheral-software compatible?.

What series recommended for new designs has roughly equivalent capability (Memory size, speed, peripherals, etc.)?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rodion,

If you want to migrate LPC23xx project to LPC17xx, I suggest you refer:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN10878.pdf 

Regarding your suggestion about "at least one MCU of each architecture", I will forward it to marking team. Thanks!

Have a great day,
Jun Zhang

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rodionvronsky
Contributor II

Thanks Jun.

For now I'll go to LPC2368, then I'll port code to LPC1768, then adapt to LPC178x.

I have a lot of well-tested peripheral dependant code from LPC2000 series, and I'm using GCC Toolchain (with my own linker files, startup, makefiles, etc), so It's more easy for me upgrade to LPC1768 using standard gcc-arm tools instead MCUxpresso and new LPC55xx series.

In my humilde opinion, NXP should keep at least one MCU of each architecture, like LPC2368 (for ARM7) or LPC1768 (for Cortex M3) to maintain some degree alternative to existing user of theses popular chips through the time, because 10/15 years of support for a complete series it's not enough.

If you can tell this suggestion to NXP should be great.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rodion,

If you want to migrate LPC23xx project to LPC17xx, I suggest you refer:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN10878.pdf 

Regarding your suggestion about "at least one MCU of each architecture", I will forward it to marking team. Thanks!

Have a great day,
Jun Zhang

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI

LPC2148  is too old. There is no pin to pin replacement for it. I suggest you provide the list of necessary peripherals, we can help you find the options.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
rodionvronsky
Contributor II

Hi Jun Zhang.

I'm using all peripherals (timers, i2c, spi, uart, pwm, caputure, rtc, dac, adc, vic,...) except USB port.

My plan is:

1) Modify hardware for replace the LPC2148 by LPC2368 in current products.

2) Move from LPC2368 to LPC1769 slowly (they are pin-compatible).

3) Move to LPC178x (lunch date oct/2013 + 15 years) after port code to LPC1769.

Do you recommend this upgrade path for the next 10 years?

NXP will extend life of LPC2368 ? Because I see that is the only part in LPC2000 remains active.

By other way, here, parLPC2368FBD100K has status "Development".

Arm7™ with 512 kB flash, 58 kB SRAM, Ethernet, USB 2.0 Device, CAN, SD/MMC, and 10-bit ADC | NXP 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Robion

LPC2368  100pin is almost pin to pin with LPC1768. but LPC1768 is also old, it is a product of 10 years ago.

During the past years, LPC17xx (cortex M3 core) was replaced by LPC40xx (M4 core). but not pin to pin replacement.

And now, if you start a new design, according to your requirement I suggest you use LPC546xx or LPC55xx. 

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos