Need help reading LPC11U35

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help reading LPC11U35

imran333
Contributor I

Hi I’m trying to read LPC11U35 with jlink via swd or jtag, however I don’t know which pins are required to the jlink for connection?

if someone could help me with what are the crucial pins and best way to read it thanks 

0 Kudos
11 Replies

imran333
Contributor I

IMG_0350.jpeg

Heres picture of jlink 

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

Your post suggests you speak about an unknown board, or at least a board of unknown status.
First thing would be to check if the power supply looks correct. Measure Vcc directly at the MCU pins, and check if the current consumption seems ok.
Then I would check the logic levels at the JTAG/SWD pins with power on.
Only then it makes sense to attempt a connect.

An existing firmware can reconfigure the debug pins to general IO at runtime, so try multiple times, and cycle the power while trying to connect.

Existing firmware can also enable Flash protection, in which case the cards are stacked against you.

0 Kudos

imran333
Contributor I

Hi I’ll try what you said, it is board for a steering wheel for gaming, I’ll check model number on it, I even tried by removing the LPC part but that never worked, if it’s protected then would I still not recognise the part or atleast get some info in jlink ?

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

>... it is board for a steering wheel for gaming ...

First, I assume you considered and checked the legality of your endeavour, as it is a commercial product.

> ... I even tried by removing the LPC part  ...

I don't know if this makes sense. But if the SWD, Mode and ISP pins are accessible, I would avoid it, since it puts additional stress on the MCU, and might damage it.

However, the datasheet has the following to say :

There are three levels of Code Read Protection:

1. CRP1 disables access to the chip via the SWD and allows partial flash update
(excluding flash sector 0) using a limited set of the ISP commands. This mode is
useful when CRP is required and flash field updates are needed but all sectors cannot
be erased.

2. CRP2 disables access to the chip via the SWD and only allows full flash erase and

update using a reduced set of the ISP commands.

3. Running an application with level CRP3 selected, fully disables any access to the chip

via the SWD pins and the ISP. This mode effectively disables ISP override using
PIO0_1 pin as well. If necessary, the application must provide a flash update
mechanism using IAP calls or using a call to the reinvoke ISP command to enable
flash update via the USART.

After checking the board is still functional at all, I would inspect it for access to the Mode and ISP pins.

Although I would be surprised if this is successful.
The MCU itself is relatively cheap, and such gaming equipment not designed for repair in general. A throw-away product, in other words.
To keep competitors from reverse-engineering it, most companies activate the highest security level (aka CRP), which denies both SWD and system bootloader access. In other words, CRP level 3 in this case.
There are ways to circumvent that, which usually raise the involved costs by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude.

0 Kudos

imran333
Contributor I

Thanks for getting back to me, it is perfectly legal to repair your own product in UK, I will look into what you said, it is a expensive product so that’s why I’m trying to repair it, just replacing the LPC11U35 won’t work I presume as it will need programming. I’m just a beginner and didn’t know Jlink has ISP mode. I will try to figure out if it is protected or not, I don’t know alot about Jlink or LPC microcontrollers, so my knowledge is very limited on this. But thanks for the info 

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

> I’m just a beginner and didn’t know Jlink has ISP mode.

I did not mean the JLink in this case, but the target MCU.
Basically every modern microcontroller has a system boot mode, which NXP calls "ISP".
When the MCU finds certain pins at certain levels during power-up, it starts a bootloader located in ROM, which allows the user to erase or program an application without a debug interface. This does not work via JTAG/SWD, but the standard interfaces supported by the ROM bootloader (with UART/RS232 being the most common one).
The protocol is usually proprietary, albeit often public. But you still need proper access to one of the supported inputs (e.g. UART), access to the mode pins (described in the datasheet), and some software that supports this protocol. The latter is most often available for free.

However, I think the manufacturer of your gaming device has blocked this road by enabling CRP level 3. You could still download the MCU datasheet (for the pinout), check your board for access to the required pins, and give it a try.

As a side note, the term "steering wheel" in combination with the LPC11U35 suggests it is an USB device with a bunch of switches, linear and rotary encoders.
If it is listed as USB device on the PC, perhaps just some peripheral electronics or mechanics are broken.
If not, it could be a wide range of issues. In this case, I would start with checking the levels at the Vcc pins of the MCU, and perhaps monitor the USB pins with a scope.

> I’m just a beginner ...
> ... so my knowledge is very limited on this.

Perhaps you can get someone more experienced from nearby to help you.  Otherwise I see a good chance your break it even more.
But I suppose you are aware of this.

0 Kudos

imran333
Contributor I

Hi thanks for that I understand the issue could get worse, the soldering etc is not a issue for me , it’s just understanding how to gain access to the LPC microcontroller, I have no experience with Jlink as I normally do Emmc work,  there is a long video on YouTube regarding protection in LPC micro controllers which I’m going to watch. 
I do have a CP2102 USB to TTL UART Serial Converter Module which I had for years but not sure if that can read it or not ?
on the board there is some pins but not labelled and they do lead to SWDIO, SWCLK etc but need to check it properly 

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

As a side note, the LPC11U34 is openly advertised as "USB capable" controller, and the datasheet suggests it supports USB as ISP interface. In other words, the ROM bootloader supports USB.
You could try to get the MCU into ISP mode via the mode pin(s), and see if different USB device(s) are found. Usually as a CDC device.
I suppose you can find more information in the datasheet and user manual of the MCU.

0 Kudos

imran333
Contributor I

Thanks I’ll look into this, I read somewhere that the eeprom is invisible to the user and can’t be accessed by SWD and only I2C and ISP 

0 Kudos

imran333
Contributor I

I’ve tried on both LPC11U35 but can’t get no connection 

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The LPC11U35 only supports SWD port, so you can use SWD port to download and debug.

This is SWD port connection with probe such as  J-Link probe.

In detail, you have to connect the SWDIO, SWCLK, Reset and GND of the LPC11U35 to the J-link probe.

For the ISP pin(PIO0_1 and PIO0_3), pls refer to section 20.2 Bootloader in the UM10462.pdf

xiangjun_rong_0-1710122718928.png

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos