Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAND Flash support

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by DT1 on Fri Feb 07 07:25:02 MST 2014
Hi,

I've noticed that in the datasheet and user manuel, external NAND Flash isn't really addressed. It's probably because it's not supported by the LPC4357, but I must ask because that type of memory would help us a lot.

So, would it be possible to connect an external NAND Flash chip to the EMC port (using the dynamic memory type CS because I need large storage) ? If yes, anything to keep an eye out for?

Thanks,
DT1
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by DT1 on Fri Feb 07 11:07:14 MST 2014
thanks for the suggestion. At higher capacity (128Mb-1Gb), it's still become a little expansive. Will look into microSD just in case.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bavarian on Fri Feb 07 09:02:27 MST 2014
Hi,

I would go for a qSPI device instead of a NAND. It connects to the SPIFI, the SPI Flash Interface of the LPC1800/4300 and is a great replacement for this NAND stuff.
You get lots of Mbytes for a few cents, the devices are available in 8-pin SOPs and the memory is in the direct address map of the ARM core. And it's relatively fast as well.

e.g.  http://www.digikey.ch/product-detail/de/S25FL164K0XNFI011/1274-1098-ND/4457675

Regards,
NXP Support Team
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by DT1 on Fri Feb 07 08:22:41 MST 2014
Thanks for the quick answer.

My current hardware config is as follow:

- Will use a file system on that Flash;
- Have an SDR SDRAM connected to the EMC as well at the dynamic CS0 (0x28000000);
- Code will not be executed from external memories. It will be from the internal Flash;
- I am considering NAND because of the price of NOR SPI Flash at the sizes I want (128Mb-1Gb);

I'll look into microSD, that could be a nice and cheap solution indeed

Thanks !
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wmues on Fri Feb 07 08:14:20 MST 2014
You may add a NAND flash to ANY EMC port if
a) the EMC port is for static memory devices.
b) the NAND flash is the "chip select don't care" type.

You may want to use a GPIO input for the ready/busy signal, and use address lines connected to the ALE and CLE signals.

BEWARE that you have to use a HUGE amount of software (NAND driver, NAND ECC, FTL, NAND Flash file system) to get a working storage!

NAND is not for beginners. If you have to use NAND, it's best to use uCLinux.

Or: use eMMC or microSD and a FAT library. With (micro)SD, you will have easy deployment.

As NAND flash is not Execute-In-Place: will your code be ececuted from internal NOR flash or from external SDRAM?

regards
Wolfgang
0 Kudos